GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Borgeson steering shaft from my local offroad shop for right around 200 bucks. Keep in mind their are two different Borgeson steering shafts! They sell one with a vibration dampener (reducer) and another one without it. I bought mine with it since it was only 10 bucks more so I figured I might as well.

So anyways I installed it and what a difference! The steering is nice and tight and no more clunking noise! Feels good and solid. Definately worth the money IMO.

Here are a few good comparison pics between the stock steering shaft and the Borgeson steering shaft. The differences are obvious as the Borgeson shaft is made of steel and the stock shaft is made of a hard plastic:

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
I was looking at that shaft, one of those things added to my list. I can't believe the new trucks are doing this too and there's no good remedy besides buying your own parts. And hard plastic for the steering? To me that seems crazy but maybe thats how the industry is.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Im sure they want it to snap in an accident and not impale you

where can I get one of these, this clunking is driving me nutz!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I read that GM will be putting replacement shafts in starting sometime this month instead of just temporarilly fixing them. anybody know if this is true? I've been waiting to bring mine in hoping I can get it replaced instead of "fixed". How hard was it to install Justin?

·
Still Newb
109 Posts
The stock shaft is not plastic, its steel, just coated and it looks plastic, and yes they have released a new shaft but my parts dept. has yet to get thier hands on one, we'll see if this ends the problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts