GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2003 silverado extended cab z71 (without onstar) with BOSE and today my radio doesn't want to work correctly anymore. The volume will only go from far left (no sound) -> one notch to the right (barely any sound). Combined with half of the lights burnt out, I decided I will replace it. I have a question though... I'm under the impression that I will need a ($170) harness for the bose amp, so I went to amazon and found what I think is the harness for half of the price. Could someone verify that it is the correct harness for my truck? Thanks!

Link -> [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQT5K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KC50JYEBTFEDN4E7700&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you give me directions on how to do that?

edit: could it be as simple as getting a new stereo and regular $10 harness and running new wire and new speakers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for verifying my suspicion! I've had a radio and set of speakers sitting as paper weights for a while, now I can get some use out of them.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you could just buy the $10 harness and keep all the bose as well, just saying

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you could just buy the $10 harness and keep all the bose as well, just saying
sorry for my ignorance, as I know nothing about this subject and I am trying to learn.

but, are you saying that the bose amp and speakers would work if I used a $10 walmart harness, antenna adapter, and an aftermarket head unit?

·
9,823 Posts
buy the 70-2003? or 70-2001? harness for a Saturn and just add RCA ends onto the speaker leads and power up the power amp wire with the one off the headunit, there ya go

·
Banned
834 Posts
buy the 70-2003? or 70-2001? harness for a Saturn and just add RCA ends onto the speaker leads and power up the power amp wire with the one off the headunit, there ya go
Im interested in this as well, but a tad confused. So basically - buy a saturn specific aftermarket harness and this will for sure fit into the NBS GMC harness. Then, cut off the speaker power wires and splice RCAs onto them, and put them into the RCA port on the h/u. Then do the same with the amp/aux power wire from the harness and plug it into the factory bose amp? Im probably wrong here.

Ive seen a few aftermarket harnesses that range from $45-$60, thats pricey. Also I have an alpine H/U with only 2 RCA ports, will this take up both of them? I have a sub I will install shortly after the headunit install.

Thanks.

·
9,823 Posts
just power up the blue wire on the harness like an amp turn on and do the first rca thing at the deck, thats it, well and you need to run a new ignition wire to turn the radio on/off

·
Banned
834 Posts
okay i think ive got it, thanks. hook up RCAs to the L and R harness speaker lines and plug them into the h/u, then power up the amp through the harness' main power line then find an ignition hot line and tap into it and everything will work like factory except with an aftermarket head unit. correct me if needed. I might attempt this over the holiday weekend, if not then soon after, when i do ill start a thread as i cant find any real informative ones in search.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How do u suggest to go about just adding an aftermarket unit and keep bose? They want 60 to 120 for this dumb special box for my truck same as op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts