GMC Truck Forum banner

Bouncy Ride After Drop

24K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  xtreme93fullsize 
#1 ·
I'm a little unhappy with the ride I'm getting after my 2/3 drop. A test ride on city streets was awesome. Absolutely no difference from stock but I was on the freeway last night and it seemed we were bouncing so much my eyes couldn't focus :pshyco:

Everything I've rear said it wouldn't really effect ride quality. I used drop spindles up front so nothing suspension wise changed there. I used the 2" hole on the hanger and the 1" hole on the shackle. I cut my bump stops pretty far down and I know it's not riding on the stops.

Any suggestions? Could the front leaf spring bolt the the hanger be too tight and it's not allowing the spring to move?

Man, I don't think a long drive would be very comfortable. My wife didn't say anything last night but I could see her grab her chest a few times to give support :LOL: Hmm, maybe this side effect isn't such a bad thing :LOL:

#2 ·
did you get new shocks when you lowered your truck? Most people who lower their truck have good experiences with them. My old 2/4 rode like ass. I couldn't drive on the freeway b/c of the bouncy ride. I never got better shocks(But the were for meant for a lowered truck), i just never drove on the freeway. I think they finally went out before i got my truck bagged.

#3 ·
2k1slvrdo said:
did you get new shocks when you lowered your truck? Most people who lower their truck have good experiences with them. My old 2/4 rode like ass. I couldn't drive on the freeway b/c of the bouncy ride. I never got better shocks(But the were for meant for a lowered truck), i just never drove on the freeway. I think they finally went out before i got my truck bagged.
No, McGaughy's said I wouldn't need them with the drop I was doing and the OEM shocks only have 900 miles on them. If it appears shocks are the problem, I won't hesitate.

#5 ·
Blown 96 WS6 said:
No, McGaughy's said I wouldn't need them with the drop I was doing and the OEM shocks only have 900 miles on them. If it appears shocks are the problem, I won't hesitate.
My first guess would be shocks too, as some have said stay away from Toxic Shocks ... most people will tell you to get Doetsch Tech ... my back rides like ass right now and I have stock shocks .... you might want to get some shocks just for the back first, then if that doesn't clear it up get the fronts .. it's a good investment anyways. You could sell your stock shocks on here if you wanted, since they only have 900 miles and make up some of the cost :head:

#7 ·
blueice said:
some of the freeways in my area are bouncy for my stock truck but its just some of the lanes that are bouncy.and it is the rear that is bouncing because there is no weight in the rear.
I found this to be true. The stretch of I-5 from my house in Carlsbad south to the 805/5 split is much worse than the rest of the way down 5 to the City. It did get much, much smoother down there. But, I take the same drive everyday and I didn't think it was that bad before the suspension changes. I assumed there was something in the combination that was less forgiving.

I will definitely consider shocks, at least for the rear, if the concensus is that they will help. I will also call McGaughy on Monday for their input.

I also still want to see if someone knows if I can adjust the torsion bars, without changing keys, to just drop the front another 1/2 inch or so. I see "adjustment" bolts but I don't really know what the do.

#8 ·
After altering your suspension you do need to get a wheel alignment done. You might be getting a little bit of tire shake. How much air are you running in yor tires? Did you you tighten everything up while the truck is in the air? If yes lift the truck back up loosen the bolts on the leaf springs that connect to your hangars & shackles lower the truck down and retighten the bolts. Also check your measurements after your done to see if this lowered down one more inch. See if this helps. Keep us posted we'll try to help get this solved.

#9 ·
1buda said:
After altering your suspension you do need to get a wheel alignment done. You might be getting a little bit of tire shake. How much air are you running in yor tires? Did you you tighten everything up while the truck is in the air? If yes lift the truck back up loosen the bolts on the leaf springs that connect to your hangars & shackles lower the truck down and retighten the bolts. Also check your measurements after your done to see if this lowered down one more inch. See if this helps. Keep us posted we'll try to help get this solved.
I did tighten them with the truck in the air so I will try that. I will take it in this week for a re-alignment but I was hoping to try and adjust the torsion bars first to see if I can get some front drop before I re-align.

#10 ·
It's true you don't NEED new shocks but because of the lower stance and more substantial rear drop a shock w/ better valving would greatly improve the ride. Most of the poor ride is from the rear drop. I would really consider a set of Doetsch Techs or Edelbrock shocks....you'll be happy w/ them.

Cameron

#11 ·
Physh1 said:
It's true you don't NEED new shocks but because of the lower stance and more substantial rear drop a shock w/ better valving would greatly improve the ride. Most of the poor ride is from the rear drop. I would really consider a set of Doetsch Techs or Edelbrock shocks....you'll be happy w/ them.

Cameron
Sounds reasonable to me Cameron. I know when I lowered my F-Body I replaced the shocks at the same time so I understand the logic. I'll check out your recommendations this week.

On another note (sorry, I hate to be a newbee) ..... yesterday when I finished the job I trimmed a good amount off the bump stops and there looked to be about 1/2 or so clearance between the stop and the rear but today I looked again and I couldn't even slide a piece of paper in there? I guess it settled down that much? I'll need to take those out and put something else in there I guess.

#12 ·
It has been my experience that the problem is simply your age! I mean come on man...your 54 years old, short, bald, and your driving a LOWERED truck! Of course the damn things is going to bounce for goodness sake! :whip:

:LOL:

Hey Paul, are you going to Carlsbad this Saturday for some racing? I got the new converter in and I'm running 9's this time out dammit! :worship:

See ya!

Jack Daniels

#15 ·
stealthjr said:
It has been my experience that the problem is simply your age! I mean come on man...your 54 years old, short, bald, and your driving a LOWERED truck! Of course the damn things is going to bounce for goodness sake! :whip:

:LOL:

Hey Paul, are you going to Carlsbad this Saturday for some racing? I got the new converter in and I'm running 9's this time out dammit! :worship:

See ya!

Jack Daniels
Hey easy now ... you'll get these guys wondering. I'm in better shape at 54 than you at 35 :guns:

I'm planning to come over but I won't be running the car. Maybe I'll take the truck for a pass ... wanna race that new Avalanche?

For the rest of you guys who are seriously trying to help me .... I took it to my alignment shop and they adjusted the torsion bars and it dropped the additional 3/4" I needed to get it level. They also re-aligned it and it rides much, much better now. Hopefully the sun will come out this weekend and I will get a better picture.

#17 ·
I went with Bell Tech nitro active shocks on our Tahoe.... Highly recommended by me. Good luck man.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.