GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all the pads/rotors on the wife's '99 Tahoe last week. We converted to the Baer kit a few years back, so the brake job this time was relatively simple. Yesterday she tells me she hears an "air leak" when she applies the brakes. It continues to make the sound until after you release the brake pedal. I've never replaced a booster before, so I asking you all for some pointers. On my way out to my garage to get the Chilton's manual and see if there are any tips. Should I rebuild the master at the same time? Thanks for any helpful replies,
Daniel Umphenour

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the honest replies. It seems like you are all encouraging me to send it to a garage or mechanic. I'm not in the mood to break my back or get frustrated on my weekend. It sounds like it will be money well spent. As for the Baer brake swap, the front is a direct bolt on with larger 13" 2 piece rotors and 2 piston calipers. The rear was a drum to disc swap. The rear axles had to be machined, so while they were out, I had the gears swapped from 3.73 to 4.11 to make up for the difference in 15" diameter to 22" diameter and added a posi and shiny rear cover. As much as I like the look of a slotted rear rotor, the parking brake doesn't work as well. The next generation GM disc incorperated an internal drum parking brake. It was supposed to be a better set up. Baer has a web site
http://www.baer.com/
You can pick your specific application and see what they offer for your vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.