GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1997 GMC K1500 Suburban. When I bought it, the right front caliper had locked up and destroyed the rotor. So I replaced both rotors, both calipers, and new pads. But the caliper was still grabbing. So I thought, maybe the hub was going (it has over 200K on it). So I replaced both hubs. Still grabbing - so I replaced the rubber brake lines - and STILL grabbing - although not as bad. Sooo - I ensured that everything was installed to specifications (torque specs, resurfaced rotors, etc.) - and took it for a drive - and it seemed to be OK - pulled into a parking lot, turned left to park in a spot - - went inside for about 2 hours - came back out, and the truck wouldn't even move! Gave it a bot of gas, heard a LOUD bang from the right front - and I could move again, although it was like driving with a warped rotor - then it smoothed out and drove fine - - I'm lost as to what to do now - - I'm looking at replacing the ABS module (I tried unplugging it - no change) - but is there something I'm missing here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotors are not warped - - they are brand new, and to be sure, I took them in & had them turned. But could a bad CV axle cause this issue??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe CV axle did seem OK - no visible damage, and moved normally - 4 wheel drive works OK (I think I may need a new switch soon, though - - but that's another story

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope - the bang was the RH front brake releasing - it's just like when the caliper was froze - - but like I said - new calipers - - so not sure what the ^$%*@@( is going on!?!

·
Registered
80 Posts
My best guess would be the abs module hanging. Get one side of the wheels in some slick mud or rocks and hit the brakes hard enough to engage the abs. Do that on both sides a few times and see if that frees anything up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, believe it or not - - found the issue - - it was the rubber brake line to the rear axle! Replaced it, rebled the entire system, and has been working fine since then. Go figure - - -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts