GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost all brake lights. All the fuses were OK, the relays were OK. So, I replaced the switch on the brake pedal. Which by the way, is a pain in the butt to get the metal clip off. With the new switch, the lights work, but it takes excessive pedal travel for them to come on. More so than before. Any areas I can check now?

Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recently lost all brake lights. All the fuses were OK, the relays were OK. So, I replaced the switch on the brake pedal. Which by the way, is a pain in the butt to get the metal clip off. With the new switch, the lights work, but it takes excessive pedal travel for them to come on. More so than before. Any areas I can check now?

Mike
Your switch needs adjusted. If it's a threaded switch, friction slide it in the clip. Pull the pedal all the way up and it should be a 1/8 from the end of the threads to the pedal contact point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This problem is still plauging me. There is no adjustment in the switch, it just slides over the metal shaft and clips onto the brake rod.

If I unhook the brake switch from the rod all 3 brake lights come on. So I think the circuit itself is fine.

I cleaned the circuit panels on both taillights.

Anyone else, I just hate to take this thing into the stealership.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Where is the Stop /TCC/ Cruise switch???
That's what you replaced. It energizes your brake lights, unlocks your Torque Converter (TCC) and disengages Cruise Control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts