GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It snowed here yeasterday and when trying to come to a stop in my driveway the truck started to slide and the antilock brakes kicked in. The truck wasn't stopping so I lifted off the brake and hit them again. As soon as I hit the brakes the pedal went to the floor and the truck finally slid to a stop. Since it was snowy, icy windy I left the truck there until this morning. Started it and pumped the brakes. They went to the floor at first and started to build pressure as I pumped. I then noticed the "brake" light on the dash was on. Pedal again just went to the floor. Any ideas on what could cause this? ABS sensor problem, brake booster failure....not sure where to start, help me out.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Check to se it there's fluid in the master cylinder, the cap is on tight, and the hoses are in good condition.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, Ichecked all the obvious items like fluid level, leaks, etc...wondering if anyone has experienced this before and could lead me in the right direction

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
To drop to the floor, it's not holding pressure. Any fluid missing? Possibly air in the lines. Bleed them out.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What year. Some earlier NBS had problems with the ABS especially in Northern climates You may have to take the truck in to get it fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any car or truck that has moving parts which use oil to lube its parts that is exposed to low temperatures will have failure. In you're case I would guess that you haven't changed you're oil since you got the truck or since 99'. Change it. No matter what car, truck, bike, or carpet you use. If it uses any type of oil to lube its parts you must change them at least once a year. its the nature of the oil to just break down. Even if the manufacturer or the dealer says you don't have to, you still do. Make sure to check the lines for kinks and check the brake fluid reservoir if its clogged, and while you're at it change the break pads and clean all the parts with brake fluid solvent. next time it snows put some plywood cut outs on the side of you're wheels to keep the snow away. add some salt to the ground and keep you're truck parked up hill so the water/snow keeps away from you're engine compartment. Hope this helps.:bowtie:

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
From NHTSA:
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / TAHOE 1999-2002
GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON XL 1999-2002

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V379000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 29, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 804000

Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.

Consequence: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

·
Registered
156 Posts
From NHTSA:
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / TAHOE 1999-2002
GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON XL 1999-2002

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V379000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 29, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 804000

Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.

Consequence: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

That's only for premature ABS application at low speed. The pedal should not drop with ABS activated. Either you've got a pad worn past the backing plate allowing the piston on a caliper to leak, or a brake line ruptured, or the master cylinder failed.

The only way for the pedal to hit the floor with ABS activation is air in the ABS valves from improper bleeding of the brakes after fluid loss (new calipers hoses, or any other reason the brake lines would run dry.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a base brake problem....low pedal.

Either air in the lines or a broken/leaking line.

My guess is that the ABS module was replaced and not bled properly, which let air into the base system....have you used ABS prior to this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
steel line from ABS unit to master cylinder went out on me. Id like to replace the entire line but have had no luck finding replacements. Looks like I will have to bend my own but getting the old line out is going to be hell. Im Thinking about leaving it in there and running my new line along side it. Anyone else experience this problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts