GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had stock 17's and went to 20's. I took the truck for a ride and needed to brake hard. The trucks brakes felt funny. Almost like the wheels are not true.

This is a new truck with only 2000 miles on it. Anybody have any ideas.
The wheels are 026 eagle 20's,with eagle GT2 tires. I plan on going to the tire shop to have them rebalanced on Monday.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
X2 on what pewter said....if you are looking for a more efficient braking system you should look into a larger rotor setup (I have been looking into the BAER Eradispeed +1 kit myself).

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
If it didnt do this before 20's, make sure they took the clips off that hold the rotors on at the factory during assembly.I had this same symptom when jumping to 20's. Turned out, this was the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ratt ron,

Could you explain what you are talking about in more detail. I had no problems at all with the stock 17's. The wheels and tires are the same height as my stock wheels. The 20's are bigger, but the tires are smaller so they are the same when you put them side by side. What clips are you refering to?

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
20" wheels will weigh more than your avarage 17" wheel. They may be the same size compared to one another, but the added weight, will make the brakes feel iffy. I had the same problem on the truck, that I ended up going with the Baer Kit, with 14" rotors. Made a world of a diffrence. I no longer get the pulsating on bumps or that spongy pedal feel. I can just imagine how bad the brakes feel with 22" and up wheels. Yikes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
91CamaroRS
20" wheels will weigh more than your avarage 17" wheel. They may be the same size compared to one another, but the added weight, will make the brakes feel iffy. I had the same problem on the truck, that I ended up going with the Baer Kit, with 14" rotors. Made a world of a diffrence. I no longer get the pulsating on bumps or that spongy pedal feel. I can just imagine how bad the brakes feel with 22" and up wheels. Yikes

What was the part number and price of the kit you got.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt...Thanks

I am new to the 20" thing. They look sweet. But stopping is kinda important.

There was never any vibration with the stock 17's. So it was odd when the front brakes were pulsing.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Did a reputable shop balance the tires? If not, un-balanced wheels/tires could give your truck a "shakey" feeling, especially at certain speeds or when braking.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'd check for those clips...I put 22s w/ big 305/45s on my truck a couple of weeks ago and have no vibes while braking with the 60K original stuff (going to upgrade very soon, though, it NEEDS it). Mine does have a very slight shimmy in the steering wheel at 50MPH or so that I'm sure is a balance issue, just gotta find time to take it in.

Stock SS trucks/VHOs come w/ 20s and 275/55 and don't shake from the factory when you're on the brakes...and w/ only 2,000 miles on your truck, the brakes should be LN.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to look for the clips. And have the wheels and tires balanced tomorow. Then I will see what happens.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
807 Posts
think whoever put them on could have damaged the VSS? dont know exactly where it is up there but who knows just tryin to give you ideas to find the problem...and i know the VSS can fuck with your brakes badly belive me i would know...

·
Registered
445 Posts
i had the same problem when i upgraded to 22's..... i removed those spacer dealios from the rotors and it stopped the shaking about 80%, i think its just cuz they were so f'n heavy the breaks were havin trouble stopping em.. lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody for all your ideas. I found the problem. It ended up being a bad tire in the front. I just got these last night. And it was dark when I got home and put them on. The wheels are like new, not even a nick or scratch.

The tires are ok for now. The one front tire looks like the truck it was on must have had a bad front shock. The inside of the tire is where the problem is. I just swapped tires front to back. And it fixed the problem. I am still going to have them balanced today though. and then see what else I might need. I am so glad it was an easy fix.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
good deal man!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts