GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some better brakes, I was wondering what u guys think the best bang for the buck is and where to get them. I have no clue when it comes to this and I know I need it. I have a 2000 Silverado with 22" wheels. :bowtie:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the bigger wheels it takes longer to stop then with the stock wheels. I really noticed it today when i almost rammed the person in front of me.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How much do you have to spend?

Stainless lines are cheap.

Baer has larger rotors for not too spendy.

Add the Tahoe/Suburban two piston rear calipers with larger rotors.

·
Registered
807 Posts
hey eric you think adding a tahoe/suburban rear dual piston caliper would make a big difference? also would they work with my rotors i have now, because i have aftermarket slotted rotors but there the same specs and everything as stock rotors just slotted...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a good site to try and get some ideas, http://www.buybrakes.com/. The rears don't do much of the overall stopping power and they are more than adequate for your needs. I would say keep the stock rear brakes and focus on the front. The fronts on these GM pickups suck, as you already know, so I would suggest going for bigger rotor/caliper combo. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but hopefully you'll get it all figured out! :)

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Bleed the ABS comp, get stainless lines and/or find a way to get a bigger piston OD MC in there. All of those will firm up the pedal.

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
really you just need bigger rotors up front cuz obviously 70% of your braking power is up front, id go with maybe some cross drilled rotors and some ceramic brake pads they reduce brake dust. check those out, there pretty good.:imo

anything is better than having four wheel drum brakes non powered.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
For the chump amount the large rear brakes cost, there is no reason not to run them. Also, the SS truck has them too........

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you need to replace the proportioning valve when swapping to the dual-piston rear calipers?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do you need to replace the proportioning valve when swapping to the dual-piston rear calipers?

Not sure, I don't have an EPC for these vehicles. My guess is PROBABLY, but the cost has to be minimal.

I can get used calipers and brackets for around $100. Pick your rotors ($35-60/ea) and that's about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts