GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to ask a favor from everyone. If you've had your NBS truck or SUV broken into through the driver or passenger side door by bending the panel away from the handle or damaging the handle, please post pics. My Suburban was recently broken into while valet parked at a hotel and I'm trying to prove they never locked my doors. Its my feeling and the opinions of others that the damage done to my door wasnt enough to unlock it. It either looks like it was left unlocked and someone tried to make it look like a break in or the thief tried to break into an unlocked vehicle

So if you have pics, please post them. It would help my case a lot and I'd really appreciate it.

Heres what they did to my door. Damage isnt that bad and the key still works with no problem at all.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
yea no way they got it unlocked w/o poking a hole at the bottom corner of the handle. my buddy had his burban broken into that way. looks like they just tried to fuck the handle up a little to make it look that way.

i'll see if he can take a pic for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you can break into the NBS without touching the paint/body... you must pry from the other side though. The bolt on the opposite side of the key hole (left side) is just press fit into the plastic handle... a screwdriver and a little prying and it pops right off... and yes i know from experience :D (locked keys in my truck one day)

dont mind the gunk behind it and on the handle, thats glue i had used afterwards to keep the handle back on the bolt till i bought a set of colormatched handles - at the time is was either spend $80 for a locksmith or spend $70 and a few days wait for some colormatched handles

DSCI0059.jpg
\

DSCI0065.jpg

and yea its pretty hard to open up the side with the lock up enough without bending the surrounding metal or breaking the handle to reach the lock rod.... the other side gives you a good 1.5" opening to fit screwdriver into and push the lock rod over.... looks like someone left it unlocked , called there buddy and put a few tool marks as cover up.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

appears to be an OBS.

Just got my Suburban back from the body shop and I had them replace the damaged handle with a rear handle. I also had them order me a passenger side rear handle for the passenger side front door. So no more lock cylinders or lock rods.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
I believed it smelled like an inside job from the begining, this was the disney break in right?

They set it up, sure of it....

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
OG
6,939 Posts
When i got jacked they just popped my lock. They didn't go under the handle like most. They just jammed something into to the lock. They still caved in the door below the handle though (bastards). I assume they pounded a screwdriver into the lock and broke the pins. Lucky for them this made the truck think the door was unlocked which made the factory alarm worthless. I was def suprised when i found how they got in.

Good luck to ya though.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
When i got jacked they just popped my lock. They didn't go under the handle like most. They just jammed something into to the lock. They still caved in the door below the handle though (bastards). I assume they pounded a screwdriver into the lock and broke the pins. Lucky for them this made the truck think the door was unlocked which made the factory alarm worthless. I was def suprised when i found how they got in.

Good luck to ya though.
So... if you only have a factory alarm, you should lock your truck, but leave the windows halfway down :rofl2:

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
So... if you only have a factory alarm, you should lock your truck, but leave the windows halfway down :rofl2:
:LOL: I did just that and it saved my ass one night.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72578.

Cliff notes for people who don't want to read it:

Left windows partially down
On couch at girls house
Factory alarm goes off
I go to door, open door, flip on porch light
See a Astro Van creeping, then all of a sudden haul ass away from the house
Go check truck, left turn signal is on, which means they stuck their hand in through window to hit unlock button.

Factory alarm saved my truck.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish the valet's armed my factory alarm. Arming the factory alarm would of also armed my aftermarket alarm. Which has a two-way pager.

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Sounds like an inside job to me, when they got my truck they tried prying between the glass and the door frame, then they just busted the glass, F'ed up the steering column trying to get the ignition lock out and then just stole my deck, amp, and subs. They were amateurs cause if they had known what they were doing my truck would have been gone. Total damage including paint was over $3000.

You should definately take the hotel to small claims court at least for not locking your alarm, try to get some of your money back.:imo:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts