GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the break in time i can expect with a 12" digital design 1500 with my amp that pushes 400 rms? the sub is rated at 500 rms/1000somethin max so would i even have to turn the amp down? also instead of terminals the sub has 10 awg wires for the +/- connections so should i step my speaker wires to the sub up to 10 awg? i do plan on getting a DD M80 soon which can be 800 rms so the power wont be an issue. thats the only questions for now

·
'10 AVY Z71
340 Posts
Break in time can be a touchy subject with some. I've talked to Scott (FI), Mike (Sound Splinter), and others, and some have told me "no break in time". Wang on it from start. And others have said "24-48hours of "easy" listening volume. I've always just hooked them up, and let it rip. I've never had any problems or failures with any of my subs, and I've had many, lol.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha. well this is the first sub ive ever bought brand new, everything ive had before was either used or used barely enough to be broken in already. i think im gonna stick to takin it easy for a week or two and then turn the amp up little by litttle

·
Registered
353 Posts
if the sub comes with loose suspension right out the box, then break in time isn't such an issue.

DD's are designed for what happens after the suspension is broken in and to tune the sub to meet their sound goal and target box set up. so in the beginning their suspension is super stiff. if you wang your DD or AQ right out of the gate, it puts additional stress on the glue joints and concentrates more stress in a limited area of the spider. you will also notice you will smell hot coils easier, where you wouldn't get that smell with a broke in DD sub.

break in could take a month. you don't have to completely "baby" it, but don't try to beat it hard either. you will notice you will get a bottomed out suspension sound. would you damage it if you did? quite possibly not. but the situation is like what you would do with a brand new engine or differential. take it easy and give all the parts time to wear in where they belong.

people who do not address this issue in DD subs, truely do not know DD subs and should refrain from commenting on how to or not to break in DD subs. period. (stated towards the "professionals" in the industry)

with that power, you need not step up to 10 ga all the way from the amp. 12 ga will be fine, 10 ga won't hurt though.

what's the info on your box? cubic feet, port specs, sub placement, port placement, location in vehicle.......

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sealed box, cargo area/against the back seat facing toward the barn doors, probly around 2 cubic feet. website says 2.75 ported so im probly just going to do 3 cubic ported if that wont mess with anything.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
Break in time can be a touchy subject with some. I've talked to Scott (FI), Mike (Sound Splinter), and others, and some have told me "no break in time". Wang on it from start. And others have said "24-48hours of "easy" listening volume. I've always just hooked them up, and let it rip. I've never had any problems or failures with any of my subs, and I've had many, lol.
Agreed 100% but be smart about it....don't be bumping Lil Jon (non) stop bass right out of the box...let the subs breathe a little bit. A consistent bass pattern is probably the best approach for the first 24-48 hours but you don't have to baby them. Besides, they come with a warranty right?:biggun:

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
DD inspects all subs before they warrany it. they can see what happened to cause the failure. if it's something the customer caused, they do not warranty it.
Yeah i know had 2 15 DDs smart company out of Oklahoma, you can pay to have it rebuilt (cheaper), but like i said be smart, continuous bass on anything will in time destroy your equipment being a sub, amp, and even wiring..

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
building a box sometime this week.. also getting a new amp. box will be similar to the boxes on DD's website and will be covered with either black carpet or black gator hide from a local chevy/gmc dealer for free.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok got the sub back with the box.. shit is loud with my amp turned up halfway but the sub still needs to be broken in yet. will get pics here in a little bit, have to take some stuff out of the back.

06-14-09_1404.jpg

061509_103600.jpg

061509_103700.jpg

061509_103800.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts