GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the more and more i think about it, SFA would be awesome but between a truck payment, insurance and other expenses im saving at the rate of like 50-100 a month! Which is pathetic! So I figure im going to swap in a 14 bolt, buy the adapters to make it 6 lug, run 5.13 gears and a detroit. Then up front im just gonna leave it cept regear it. Now here is the fun part. Im getting bushwhacker cut outs and im going to run 38x13x16 TSL's. Everyone get in their two cents about how its stupid yada yada yada....I just need a good idea of what exactly to trim and how much. I know it will be alot but i dont care. Jason i know you cut an assload could you post up some pics of what all you trimmed? I figure ill roll this set up and im sure i will blow the front diff after a while but hopefully by then ill have the $$ for a SFA setup.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Rock on! :head:

This is the kind of stuff I like to read! Anyway, with the standard cut-out flares I believe I cut 2" all the way around on mine. But, after still rubbing I cut an additional 2" out on the front flares at the door jam. The flares easily flexed to make up for it. I would say you could cut 4" all the way around and still make them fit.

This was my first cut:

I cut 2 more inches torwards the door after that and another inch forward, no higher though. On the rear it shouldn't be a problem with just going the standard 2".

Oh yeah, thanks for not going with a 20" lift :worship:

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
PtownZ71 ran 38-13-16's on 16x8's on just a Rancho + body and claimed not to rub. So add a body lift and run it like it is.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I talked to SouthernZ71 about his cut outs a while back and he said the C/O's on the NBS really don't give you much clearance when you do it by the directions. I would go with Willy's advice. Cut out more than it says and make them fit. :anitoof:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I dont think you will rub to to bad since they arnt real wide. With cutouts you should be just fine. Are you going to get wheel spacers or the 6 lug hubs from gradys offroad? If you need help rebuilding that 14 bolt let me know I would be happy to lend a hand. All I would do is keep in mind that size tire is up there. For instance if your in deep mud dont floor it with your wheel turned. Other than that it sounds like a good plan!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since I was brought up, I'll chime in with my 2 pennies......

First off, I thought for sure after seeing a guy on pavementsucks that I would be able to fit some narrow 37s and worst case some wide 36s when I added the Cut Outs. However, I was terribly wrong. (I have since deleted the pics) And this was using cranked Ford Keys.

Anyhow, I didn't have the tools to do the job, so I brought it to a local shop. I watched the guy do the cutting and he cut a straight line 1 1/2" back from the well edge up to the body line and then cut a horizontal line to remove that piece. There was NO cutting on the well arche or on the front fender edge.

IMO for 400 bucks, I would add a BL and call it a day....

NOW on the flipside, OBS Cuts are made in a manner that you can cut tons and "make" them fit. The NBS are "stupid proof" and don't leave you too many options. You have to use the wheel liner molding holes across the top/front/back to mount them them along with the regular screws on the outside.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
i would def add a bodylift to the cutouts, DE can help you install a bodylift if you really dont wanna, and they are semicheap. Then the cutouts would give you about 2 inches, so you would have a 7+3+2 about 12 inches of lift hopefully. if your going to do this, and your truck would be hella big but you might wanna consider finding a daily driver :anitoof:

·
6,656 Posts
Yeah I forgot you didnt have a BL, for 300 bucks its a good option.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry...if i had 6k laying around SFA would be my first option. Everyone seems to forget that i have to get a new tranny as well as a new engine! That will come in time as for now...low gears are my friend :anitoof:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and thanks for the replies. I think im gonna try and make it work with just a 6 inch suspension lift...if it doesnt turn out how i want then i might add a body lift.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
oh and thanks for the replies. I think im gonna try and make it work with just a 6 inch suspension lift...if it doesnt turn out how i want then i might add a body lift.
Man I honestly don't think that will work, unless you crank the :poop: out of your bars, or do a ton of cutting. I run my 36" ever now and then with no B/L and it takes a ton of cranking, that is why I am getting rid of them. I say get the BL and the CO's, then you might can run them well. Might work well on the street but any decent flex will rub like hell.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
:word: Put on a body lift, phord keys, and crank the fuck out of your bars and you might not have a problem... :anitoof:

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
he's got the replacement front bumper which is good for a few inches there but i dunno about how much cutting he is gonna have to do right near the door hinge of the front. and on the rear, hell anything will fit on the rear with a bigger block or if he cuts the hell out it to fit.

·
6,656 Posts
the spot by the door is where he will rub most, going to have to cut the hell outa it there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What pics I have seen from the NBS CO's is that it fits pretty snug to the door, even after you cut "by the directions." So I am not sure how you will be able to pull that one off unless you throw your stockers back on and run some pizza cutters, and cut into the floor board.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Well, regardless what you do, you know that I'm willing to help out with whatever work you need to do. :bowtie:

·
6,656 Posts
Grant said:
Well, regardless what you do, you know that I'm willing to help out with whatever work you need to do. :bowtie:
:word: just let me know if ya need help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts