GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
trucknut
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I noticed this morning that I had lost a lug nut, and on closer inspection it turns out that the stud is just GONE. So, I'm assuming that im going to need to pull that axle shaft and replace them somehow, is this a hard task? About how much would it cost and where can you get the parts? Anything else I should know, and would this be a good time to do a rear disc brake conversion? Also, this is on the drivers side rear. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Id imagine it would be easier than pullin the entire hub and spindle off on a 4wd...i think its just held in there by a clip, but im not sure how you go about gettin to it. While u are at it, go ahead and knock out all the old studs, and press in new ones. No need to go through all that hassle to press one new one on. it just takes a couple blocks of wood and a hammer.

·
trucknut
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its the factory 10 bolt with 3.27(?) gears and no limited slip or anything. If I can afford it, should I add that and the disc brake conversion as well? Thanks for the replies!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
you could convert it to discs but i dont know the details on hwo to do it on a 10 bolt or if its even feasable since its a semi float axle.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can do the block of wood and hammer thing or you can get an old stock lug (allows the stud to come all the way through) and use that to pull the stud right into your axle, make sure its a useless lug cuz it probably wont be in a condition to put on a vehicle after this.

·
Registered
601 Posts
thecodeman said:
that im going to need to pull that axle shaft and replace them somehow, is this a hard task?

About how much would it cost and where can you get the parts? Anything else

1. it's not hard at all. You might get lucky and be able to slide the new stud behind and get it on. There is a tool made for pressing them in, personally I'd just use some washers, a spare lug nut, and an impact gun to pull it on. Make sure the lug is "backkwards", meaning the angled part is facing outward and flat side towards the axle.

Take wheel off on broke side. Take the drum off. Pull diff cover. Remove retaining pin from carrier and push the axle inward. It will reveal a "c" clip that holds the axle in. Remove that and you can slide the axle out. Do the reverse to install. (for a much more detailed explanation.... FSC has an article about axle work, all you'd need to do is the first part titled "No looking back" to get it out.)

Credit goes to Vhato (also a member here) for the axle article.

Where C-clip is located

2. Without the conversion it will be inexpensive. Between oil for the axle and everything, I bet $30 or so (depending on what oil you get, synthetic is more)

·
trucknut
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys! This makes me feel a lot better about it. Now I just have to get it back to Dallas from waco :bawl:

·
6,656 Posts
dont use a lug nut to pull the stud back through! that can damage the threads and weaken teh stud. Bang it through fromt the back side withga wood block or brass drift.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
6,656 Posts
just because there is a tool for it doesnt mean they are the right way. Im just going by what multiple mechanics have told me and I have read in multiple service manuals.

·
Registered
703 Posts
you will be safe by using an old lug nut or a tool, i know of multiple shops who do it that way and nothing ever happens but DE has a point, but you arn't gonna die or brake the same one if you use a lug nut....there are always multiple ways to do the same job and in this case all suggestions will work

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Using an old lug nut might do the same thing...but as DE said, it weakens it. Why would you want to spend all that time to knock out and pressin a new lug stud for it to just start out weak again, where it could potentially break once again later down the road...just be safe and knock it through w/ a wooden block or brass drift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts