GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just cranking my torsion bars and went to do the drivers side and the head of the bolt broke off and the other parts still in there. how do I go about getting the other part out and where can I get a new bolt at to put in there? By removing the other part of the bolt will that unload my torsion bar or just the key?

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
you need a good tap and dye set. When taking the bolt out you better to really slow

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
weld another bolt to it so you can turn it

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
lol after the 70ty million thousand threads we have on cranking torsion bars, someone still does it wrong. i'm sure your not laughing but i think thats fucking hilarious.

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some people I asked told me to lift it up some people told me I didnt have to. So I took the easy route and didnt jack it up. It is kinda funny though. But the trucks still under warranty so its covered.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The bolt is big enough to work nicely with a tap and die set. Once you get the front wheels off the ground a lot of the force will be removed from the bolt making it easier to turn. Let it soak in PB blaster.

·
I'd rather be hunting.
492 Posts
some people I asked told me to lift it up some people told me I didnt have to. So I took the easy route and didnt jack it up. It is kinda funny though. But the trucks still under warranty so its covered.
I don't think warranty covers you trying to crank your tbars and breaking the head of the bolt off. Just my .02.

·
Registered
497 Posts
damn, that thing musta really been under some serious pressure to break. was it really rusty or something?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Lesson learned hopefully. This is what I would do but that's just me. Remove the old block with the bolt in it and go get another one from the junk yard. That's just easier for me.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
take it in there and tell them when you were getting an oil change that the lube guys noticed your t-bar bolt was broken. they cant say no to that. and if they do then go to a different dealership.

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what ill say is i found the head to a bolt under my truck on my driveway will i was washing it and that i had my friend whos a mechanic look at it and he told me it came from my torsion bars. haha. it could work. we'll find out tomorrow morning

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
get a torsion key tool...weld nut/bolt to broken end of keyway adjuster bolt, if possible, then back out with the front end off the ground and the keyway being forced up by teh t-bar tool. seems like the safest way to go. just preload the key with the t-bar tool to remove the tension off the bolt. mine have always turned easy.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
what ill say is i found the head to a bolt under my truck on my driveway will i was washing it and that i had my friend whos a mechanic look at it and he told me it came from my torsion bars. haha. it could work. we'll find out tomorrow morning
go with whatevr you would believe if somebody told you. pretty much put yourself in their shoes and see what seems more reasonable.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts