GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea so my starter problem snowballed into a helluva lot more. Got the truck up on jackstands today to swap out the starter again after it was still making racket from changing it yesterday. Got to looking around and there is a huge (like really huge) crack in the flexplate. Also there is a minor crack in my bell housing that I'm not really worried about. Idk how long it's been like this, but oh well.

First question: I'm not going to fix it until next weekend, so how dangerous is it to keep driving it for a week? I've never seen one of these come apart, but it'll have to make at least 700 miles if I drive it everyday.

Second question: It's a good time to upgrade, so suggestions on something a little stronger? Engine is a slightly modded 5.7, TBI (not exactly a beast I know) Lunati cam, full tune, etc. Trans is a fully built 4L60.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
ha...i asked you the other day if the flexplate was in good shape...and sure enough, my guess was right.

personally i wouldn't want to drive with it like that...but how many miles have you put on it with it acting up? whats another 700? just keep it mind its a risk to keep driving it.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like over 2K :lol: It's gotten noticeably worse the last few days though. I think I'll just park it until I can fix it next weekend.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Like over 2K :lol: It's gotten noticeably worse the last few days though. I think I'll just park it until I can fix it next weekend.
if its getting worse, the FP is cracking more and more. ive seen my fair share come into work shread apart.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know for a fact it wasn't broken the last time the trans was out (early May) so it's happened since then. The noise goes away when I put it in gear, but I still know it's there. I'm planning on just welding up the bell housing since it's a small crack on the corner, not close to a dowel or bolt so I'm not worried about that.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
A AAA membership, or similar plan, can be had for less than the cost of a tow, should your rig leave you stranded miles from home.

With impending failure of your flexplate, I'd strongly consider investing in one. If the flexplate fails, you're stuck.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A AAA membership, or similar plan, can be had for less than the cost of a tow, should your rig leave you stranded miles from home.

With impending failure of your flexplate, I'd strongly consider investing in one. If the flexplate fails, you're stuck.

If I were far from home that might be an issue, but I'll never have to pay for a tow around here. Between family and friends someone has always been there to help. As long as it breaks within 500 or so miles from home then I don't have to worry about it.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,667 Posts
lol, I just got a tracker out of my garage that shit a flexplate going down the highway at 70, tore the center out of it and the car stopped forward movement

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't need to hear that :lol: My commute is 65 miles one way and it's mostly interstate. I'm gonna have to drive it a couple days at least I think. Only other option is the Suzuki and I'm not comfortable riding it with a high chance of rain. So we will see....

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nearly 4 months to the day. I hit some kind of large object on the interstate early Friday morning and I'm thinking I managed to break another flexplate. Y-pipe and dust cover are fucked too. :nono:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts