GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so has anyone else experienced seized or broken hood bumpstops and unable to get them out because the riveted-in-threads just spin??

I just tried drilling one out, but as I got in deeper it would just spin the rivet...

At this point I am just looking at prying and folding up the top flange of the rivet and bang it through the radiator support.

But, is this a replaceable part? Anyone have a part number for the female threaded rivet? Couldn't find anything even closely relateable on rockauto.

I already have the GM replacement threaded bumpstops somewhere... but just need those damn rivets!

Here's a quick photo of what I'm dealing with after it was cut off flush to attempt to drill it out. The rusty part around it just spins freely now.

IMG_20141206_171009_141_zps7gwy9z8v.jpg

Lesson learned here; always lube these little bastards to keep from seizing.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I don't know. I just adjusted my hood to where I liked it (perfect of course) and thread locked them in place. Now they will never move. Stupid? Maybe so, but at least the adjustment is there to stay.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I just adjusted my hood to where I liked it (perfect of course) and thread locked them in place. Now they will never move. Stupid? Maybe so, but at least the adjustment is there to stay.
My adjustments changed when I went to glass fenders and cut HD hood for Sierra... And ever since I have just been dealing with them broken. Want to get it taken care of!

I now see there are also some big threaded plastic/rubber bumpstops that are listed for some recent trucks, and also 4th gen f-bodies...? They look like they may just thread into the hole in the rad. support with out the rivet, but really not sure.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have, or can possibly snap a couple of photos of their bumpstops on their truck?

Believe it or not, I can't find many good photos on a google search, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms? "Hood bump stop" only shows up suspension photos.

I'm wondering if there were two different designs used on the GMT-800 throughout the 99-07c?
One with the riveted in threads (like I have), and one without?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts