GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Tonight i made an attempt to install my black and red racing seats...needless to say i gave up on them and am selling them. I convinced my dad to lemme have his leather buckets from his beater 96 ext cab. I have the drivers side figured out (just need to drill 2 holes and im set), but the passengers side bucket...the bracket is about 1-1/2 to 2" off in front. I was wondering did u guys who did this just drill new holes...ir did u flip the bracket around after cutting and welding it back together?

I can post pics if needed.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
c'mon...ive seen pictures of other peoples trucks who have done it. Help me out.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Why did you give up on the new seats?

Here's the post I made when you bought them ... did you look into them?

You could try to find some Universal seat brackets .. here's a few

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=223987&prmenbr=361 says they are for 1988-93 trucks, $25 but might still work or be made to work.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=85486&prmenbr=361 $23, racing style but might could still be made to work.

55570225.jpg

If you look at the ones above, you can see you could really make your own out of 4 pieces of angle iron .. just need some, a drill, a hacksaw or sawzall and some nuts bolts and washers.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Drivers seat fits fine...just a matter of drilling 2 holes for the right side bracket (used to have a bench in the truck)....the passengers seat like i said is off, the back brackets line up perfectly but the fronts are off. I was thinking of either getting a short bolt to just close the hole and silicone it to quiet road noise and water spraying off of the tires and rusting my floorpan. Then just drilling new holes and using the original hardware to bolt em up.

Also...did u guys weld the nuts in place like GM did? I was curious if i should or not because that way i wouldn't need another person to help me remove them when i re-upholster them.

Finally...on the passengers seat, a friend said that i might have trouble with two new holes because of the cat and shield. How did you guys work around this shit? I s'pose i could take the shield off, but the cat would probably be a PITA and i would just say the hell with it and weld in a filler pipe.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
bcubed..you think those universals would work with my trans am seats? they arent here so i cant take a close look at the underside, but they may be/have curved rails so im not sure if they'd sit flush on those universals.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Sleeper said:
bcubed..you think those universals would work with my trans am seats? they arent here so i cant take a close look at the underside, but they may be/have curved rails so im not sure if they'd sit flush on those universals.
Sorry, don't know ... I just threw those out as a possible alternative .. never used them before ... pretty soon I will have to go through this, have to fit some aftermarket seats or a stock seat out of another vehicle into my '55 Chevy Stepside.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well heres what ive got...crawled until the truck and had my dad drilling through the floorpan. Welding the new "nuts" on isn't a problem at all...the problem is my right side (of my tru dual exhaust) and the cat converter and shield. Where the hole is for the passengers left front bolt and nut, i couldn't even put my hand in there. So this winter once i get my gibson headers im going to remove all of the old exhaust system and weld up a new one. I was thinking....header, runs off into a 2 1/2" tru dual system straight to the mufflers, then turns down before the rollpan/bumper. So pretty much like my exhaust is now, except all one size pipe and no cats...because i don't have emissions around here and i could care less wtf the government says about pollution.

And if i understand this right...the cat heat shields are held in by like light gauge metal barckets or sometin right? If they are...ill just bust out the sawzall tomorrow night and chop them bishes off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts