GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm going to have some extra money coming in next week and I want to upgrade the stock stuff in my '07. Its not alot of extra money but I think it will be enough to cover some speakers, subs, and an amp.

I'm looking to replace the factory speakers all around and I was looking at some Infinity's, but I don't know how good they are.

I am also wanting to upgrade my 5 year old Kicker Comps to something newer and maybe stepping up to 2 12's instead of 10s, what are some decent subs with a decent price? I will also need an amp to power these, thoughts?

As of right now I am also planning on keeping the factory deck because of money and I like the use of my steering wheel controls...

So basically, throw out some stuff you like (with links preferably) and that is decent priced and i'll look into it.

Thanks,
Dusty

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
i would go with tcsounds subs... those are what are going in my truck once i get a better amp and get rid of the old stuff

·
No one lays pipe like me
307 Posts
I just put in Infinity 63.7's in the front doors, and they sound great!!! They have an adjustable tweeter as well.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys I've been thinking a little more into this and I've been wondering if it is even worth it to replace the speakers if I am going to keep the stock deck?

Also I think I want to run 2 12's, but don't know which ones or what kind of amp to run to them...

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Id look into Elemental Designs, theyve got some really nice stuff, i like them,

http://elementaldesigns.com/

My truck is all Treo. Desk is an Alpine 9855. I have Treo coaxals all around and 2 Treo TSi 12's powered by an Alpine MRP-M350 amp. Its a cheap setup but i didnt want to throw a lot into this one. Might get Treo commonents up front in the future with SSI subs and a Treo amp(they only make bigger amps)

http://treoonline.com

These are just my 2 favorite companies, ive ran products from both companies in my trucks. My old F150 had a JL W7 setup but thats a little pricy if your on a budget.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I wouldn't do anything until that factory head unit is out of the truck. That's the key ingredient right there. Without it, the signal sounds like shit. They make interface's for the steering wheel controls so you don't lose any functionality of the truck.

Start with a head unit. If you can't do it right, don't waste your money.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't do anything until that factory head unit is out of the truck. That's the key ingredient right there. Without it, the signal sounds like shit. They make interface's for the steering wheel controls so you don't lose any functionality of the truck.

Start with a head unit. If you can't do it right, don't waste your money.
Well I want to go ahead and upgrade the rest of the system now and save up to buy the head unit I want later on this summer.

i have an interface i can sell you that i never used on mine!!
How much?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Instead of spending money on the rest of it, use that money to get the head unit. Just that alone will make a big difference in sound quality.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of spending money on the rest of it, use that money to get the head unit. Just that alone will make a big difference in sound quality.
How much of a difference in sound quality can there be with the factory paper speakers? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand how throwing a better headunit in there can make crap sound any better... :think:

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More power, cleaner signal
Can you show me some links on a nice deck (was looking at screens) and maybe enlighten me on the steering wheel interface adapters?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Alpine IVA-W200 is what I have. Dylan and a few others have it too. Really nice head unit, and you can get it for around $700. Built-in dvd player, excellent iPod control, 3 pre-outs, wireless remote, and a lot of other features.

Dh452.gif

For the steering wheel controls, Peripheral PESWIX.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
:word: on the HU first. I really dont understand why, but all my speakers sounded better when I threw in my alpine. I didnt think they would since it all runs through a monsoon amp but w/e. You're only as good as your weakest link, and it makes for an easier job to run your RCAs and amp turn-ons while everything is apart anyways.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have 2 12" JLW0 Subs with the stock face and it sounds great.. I like the way the stock one looks and it's a lot easier to work with. I'm fixin to get some new door speakers, don't know what yet, but I am planning on keeping the stock head unit. The only way I'd replace my head unit is if I went with a in dash dvd player, the kind that doesn't flip in and out. But I'm not about to spend $800 on that because honestly I don't have the money to do that. You'll be fine replacing the speakers and adding some subs and then putting a new head unit in later.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Alpine has some really nice decks that are relatively affordable. Im putting the 9857 in mine.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I have 2 12" JLW0 Subs with the stock face and it sounds great..
You just haven't heard what it could sound like. It's all really just a matter of personal opinion. :imo and with the 15 years of experience in the car audio world, I can tell you that it's a night/day difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts