GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive been trying to build a custom box for the past couple of days...ill tell you its not easy at all...this is my first attempt at a project like this, but its turning out very nice IMO, just taking forever. my friend wanted to buy a prefab box off ebay or sumthing (a thunderform or something similar) and i saw the price and how little airspace it actually had, and told him i could build something nicer for less money...so far we have spent a total of $105 on the box (sheet of mdf, fiberglass matt and resin, other little supplies) and will prob spend another 20 or so for paint and bondo. i hardly got anywhere the first day i worked on it and today i got pretty far IMO. we got an amp tray built into the structure of the box and tomorrow we start layin fiberglass...what fun thats is gonna be. if anyone ever has the chance to look at the area under a dodge dakota w/o the tool tray there, please do take a look...its tiny and the bottom is really odd shaped. ill see about gettin some pics tomorrow before we start and maybe when we finish for the day...this project is gonna take a while before we actually do finish it tho, but thats alright cuz he still has to order the amp and one other sub. my estimates on the size of each enclouse is 1 cubic foot, maybe a tad more. tomorrow all i plan on doing is gettin the bottom glassed and cut out the pieces for the top, but im not gonna cut any holes in it yet. So far everything is lining up just about right and we have everything siliconed really well. I wanna see pics of boxes that anyone else has built or has had built. its a good project in that its a nice learnin experience for me and my buddy...and it gives us something to do. i might just wait and post a bunch of pics of the truck at once along with the box if anyone wants to see a dodge dakota thats not so stock and has been built by me w/ the owners money...lol

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far the fiberglassing is turning out nicely...its not too bad really, just time consuming...and the fumes aren't too bad after a while...lol...it took a lil bit to get the hang of it, but me and my friend got it down now...im tryin to get some pics...

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
i wanna build my own box... the one i have in there now i dont like too much cause it sticks out way too far and leaves ZERO leg room in the back of my cab.

get some pics and maybe take the time to do a tech article...

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i find someone who wants me to build them one under the backseat of a fullsize, i will consider doin a tech article. Its not hard to do, just time consuming. If you want to toss around some ideas and stuff, just contact me on AIM one day. i should be able to tell u how to build it for the most part...i thought it would be somewhat hard, but its not. i think there is actually enough room under the backseats where you shouldn't have to worry about fiberglassin anything (which IMO is a good thing...costs a lot to do and is time consuming). If you ever have the chance to look under the backseat of a dodge dakota ext cab, do it...theres no room under one of them...lol...so fiberglassing part of it is about the only choice. we even put in an amp rack on my buddies and it looks good so far. when i built my shitty ass console out of wood, i made templates out of cardboard, and i think that it would be a good idea to use it cardboard for something like this too...and if you do want to fiberglass stuff, its kinda scary at first, but its really not hard once you figure it out. Make sure if you do build one with an amp rack, you build it for that amp. our amp rack is 12"x14" and the amp we are gonna use is 11x10...gives us some room to do all the wires and stuff. but if anyone wants to know more about something like this, i can always draw up some pics and scan them and send them to you on AIM or something...and after we finish the fiberglassing, i can give anyone that needs some tips and tricks for fiberglassing. AIM sn is RedneckDixieDude.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohh yeah, if this all works out right, i plan on fiberglassin some 12s into my side panels on my blazer...nice, clean, and out of the way...there is so much wasted airspace right now, and im sure after this i will have enough skill to handle a project like this...just do what i did and research as much as you can and talk to as many people as you can about it...and don't be to scared to mess up...if i do go through with that project, expect plenty of pics, im almost positive ill have a digi cam after this month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts