GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure most of you aren't aware of my low budget "beater with a heater" build, but here's a little update...

We had a club mod day at my house today and ended up getting the bodywork "good enough for who it's for" and got it sprayed!

ModDay9-20-09005Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09013Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09015Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09016Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09017Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09019Medium.jpg

It was like a masking party! Everyone got into it! :)
ModDay9-20-09020Medium.jpg

Turning the garage into a makeshift paint booth...
ModDay9-20-09021Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09022Medium.jpg

What do you mean the table is a little uneven?
ModDay9-20-09023Medium.jpg

This can sounds different?
ModDay9-20-09024Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09025Medium.jpg

Wow... Looks nice! Too nice! I hope it dries less shiny!
ModDay9-20-09026Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09027Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09029Medium.jpg

ModDay9-20-09030Medium.jpg

Yeah, THAT's getting better!
ModDay9-20-09031Medium.jpg

As it's drying, it sure is looking BAD ASS!!!!! WOOT! I am so psyched! Thanks so much for all that helped out and to Billy for spraying it! That Rustoleum sure does lay down better through a gun! Yeah, it's still Rustoleum! Like there was a doubt. ;) (I've rattle-canned my share of nice looking rat rides...) They didn't have "satin" black in the quart containers, so I went with semi-gloss black. Different name for the same deal.

It was still a bit tacky when I shut off the lights in the garage, but I'll pull the tape off it tomorrow and back it out into the sun and let it bake a bit. :)

Now it's time to get ready for the sign work!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I started with:
BigUgly011.jpg

BigUgly009.jpg

BigUgly003.jpg

But it's a 305, 5 speed, posi truck, so it was worth the 400 bucks I spent on it. ;)

Here's my plan:
BigUglyRendering-1.jpg

So far I did the cab corners, banged the dents out a bit, did a tune up, wheels and tires, a 3/4 drop, replaced the front bumper with a chrome W/T one, and now the paint... I'll add the shop signage next weekend.

I know it's not the typical build here, but I'm in it cheap and it is exactly what I want it to be. I love this POS beater! :D

·
GroundeD 4 LifE
1,234 Posts
nice man

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its awesome. gotta love the builds that the everyday guy can do!
Thanks! Yeah, cheap is fun!

Ok. here's a couple more pics from today. I got to pull it outside while Bella (my 9mo old daughter) was napping, but didn't have much time to do anything else. I painted the bowtie that was missing on the grill and de-masked. Might try bringing her out there with me for re-assembly in her play pen or something. We'll see. :)

Oh yeah, I removed the trim and de-badged it before paint, too... :)

But here are the pics for now...
BigAndNotSoUgly001Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly002Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly003Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly004Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly005Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly006Medium.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems I'm the only one replying to my own thread, but that just makes me cooler. :)

Here are some finished pics from today...
BigAndNotSoUgly009Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly010Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly012Medium.jpg

BigAndNotSoUgly016Medium.jpg

Not much left to do now. I am going to do a little work on the tail lights, replace the NASCAR'd side glass, do the Chop Shop door signs, and get a pair of captains buckets and console and call it done. :)

Almost there!

·
FBGM Member
390 Posts
Looks good man, simple and cheap. Bringing an old pile back to make something decent and functional. I like it.

So is just like a parts runner, DD, or what exactly?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good man, simple and cheap. Bringing an old pile back to make something decent and functional. I like it.

So is just like a parts runner, DD, or what exactly?
Thanks! It's gonna be a beater/DD and winter vehicle if it drives decent with snows and some weight in the back. Trying to keep my Buick and Impala off the road in the nasty stuff. And my wagon was getting to be too nice to be the official Home Depot and Junkyard Crawl vehicle... So my buddy Craig and his List brought this wonderful nugget to me for 400 bucks last October. ;) I just finally got around to having some time to do something with it.

So yeah, Daily and beater. Should work out in that role just fine. :D

Gotta do something about the tunes soon, though! I've got a Sony CD player laying around somewhere, and a set of co-ax 6.5's and 6x9's & boxes... :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the whole "average joe" look. I've done a couple paint and tape jobs like that in the past too lol...... this one was in a trailer park with rattle cans
This is my 5th vehicle I've done this way. Been doing it for years on the beaters. ;) 3 wagons, my old Miata, and now Big Ugly! I actually painted my last wagon, a 95 Caprice, at the "Shiny Car Impala Nationals" two years ago in St Louis in the parking lot adjacent to the show. ;) I rattlecanned it Rustoleum Satin black at a buddy's house in KY on the way down from NH and we taped off the flames at the show, in the lot, and then went the next lot over to spray it and drove it back, wet paint and all, to the "unveiling!" It was pretty funny. And for 30 bucks, I was the talk of the show! ;)

ISSCAnats07012Medium.jpg

ISSCAnats07013Medium.jpg

ISSCAnats07022Medium.jpg

ISSCAnats07038Medium.jpg

ISSCAnats07054Medium.jpg

ISSCAnats07067Medium.jpg

Boy, did she look different before tint!

Wagonfest2K7168Medium.jpg

it looks pretty good for a step side, i think i like..
I'm with ya there. But hey, for the price, the stepside was livable. I tried to see if someone with a fleetside wanted to trade, but I got no takers.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
good deal. Im looking at picking up a older s-10 that will need a clutch, tune up, and tires for a DD/beater. Im going to spray it on the cheap too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! Signage done!

Well, I finally got a chance to spend a couple hours and paint the signage on the truck today! HUGE thanks to my brotah-from-anothah-mothah for hooking me up with an easy to use template! Woot!

It was all very simple. I wiped the dust off the truck with a rag. I put on the "less tacky" vinyl that Johnny Boy made for me. I took the tape off that. I masked around it all. I sprayed "Satin Almond" Krylon. Then I used a Duplicolor Truck and Van "Bright Red" that I had on the shelf in some spots. That didn't like the Krylon. Then I used some brown Rustoleum primer in quick, faraway blasts to "weather" it all a bit. I used Krylon Fusion Red on the back over the Almond, cuz I DID want that to stick. I also had to use a heat gun to warm the panels and between coats because it was in the high 40's/low 50's today. Paint didn't exactly want to cooperate! All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It's got some goofs on it, which is fine, because I was striving against perfection. ;)

Here's the cool vinyl template on the door...
BiguglyChopShop001Medium.jpg

Masked...
BiguglyChopShop003Medium.jpg

Sprayed...
BiguglyChopShop005Medium.jpg

"Weathered" with some rusty primer...
BiguglyChopShop006Medium.jpg

Other side:
BiguglyChopShop007Medium.jpg

Close up:
BiguglyChopShop008Medium.jpg

Gate graphics. Thanks John! LOL!
BiguglyChopShop009Medium.jpg

Unmasked!
BiguglyChopShop010Medium.jpg

BiguglyChopShop012Medium.jpg

BiguglyChopShop013Medium.jpg

The red I sprayed over the tag line didn't want to adhere to the Almond colored base coat. Works out anyways, because it looks like old vinyl that's peeling off! WIN!
BiguglyChopShop016Medium.jpg

And in case you missed the tongue in cheek rear gate, here it is again!
BiguglyChopShop017Medium.jpg

BiguglyChopShop018Medium.jpg

I diggit! Almost done! New window, tint, and a stereo and she's all set!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice lookin good man.
Was your Imp ever at ProBuilt tranny in Holbrook MA?
Thanks. And... Not that I know of. I don't know that I could even tell you where Holbrook is. ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lol, thats funny. Just wondering because I saw an Imp there years ago with a 6spd.
I like your vehicle selection, 3 bad ass rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts