GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may or may not believe in what I’m going to tell you but all I can say it did happen. Last weekend in my sleep I was visited by Jason for the fourth time since his passing and here is what he said as best I can remember it.

“Get my buggy built. Tell all my friends to watch for pennies because they’re from me and tell everyone to save all their pennies and send them to you to pay for the build, there will be plenty of pennies to build it. Contact Fred and ask him to do a story about the build and have him call it BUILT FOR PENNIES.”

Now what I want to know is; do you guys think I'm crazy or should we pursue this or laugh it off. J’s mom said it sounds like something J would come up with and it probably will work if he is behind it. But holly cow, we are talking something like 8,000,000 pennies for material, unless I can get some sponsors which I think I can. Also, I’m sure we can count on JR to be the builder and driver for the King of the Hammers once it is finished. OK, what do you think guys, is it possible?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Sounds like a sweet idea, I would love to see it come to life.

BTW, went home from school for the weekend, and was greeted with an issue of 4wheel & Off-Road with an article about Jason's rig :rocking: Great article, Wheel In Peace!

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think something like the paypal account is best idea because if we come up short, I want a record of who sent what so I can return all funds.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I think something like the paypal account is best idea because if we come up short, I want a record of who sent what so I can return all funds.
Seriously, if shipping wouldn't ruin it, I would ship you the huge jar of pennies in my room, but I'm pretty sure as much as it weighs, it would cost me more in shipping than you would get in pennies!

Paypal would be great, but sending in $0.01 increments would get tiring after a while, if it was sent in large lumps, it would loose the sentiment of pennies.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
After talking to you on Wednesday Ken I cleaned up my room and gathered all my change.

I've got $36.83 in change towards materials and as much free labor as I can squeeze from my life after Geoff's rig gets up on the 44's and Nate's rig has some tube up front.

I'd still love to see his buggy become a reality.

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John “JR” Reynolds is on board!!!!

JR and I discussed J’s design and we agreed that bggrnchvy would know more than anyone about Jason’s thoughts and plans and he is the one that would know the most about J's ideas on the buggy. I'm sure both Esteban and Geoff talked to him about it also, but Kyle would have been the "design" discussion guy. I told JR that J's ideas were conceptual and possibly leading edge for approx. 5 years ago and today I'm sure he would have updated his design to best fit today's designs and technologies. I would like the conceptual design followed as much as possible yet I would like it updated and improved just as Jason would have done; but he would have done it over several years and rebuilds to get where it should be today.

As for donations of pennies; for the guys that are in California we can probably work out drop-off points around the state. For guys inside and outside of California, we will set up a PayPal account for deposits as well as pennies can be cash in for checks that can be mailed. For anyone concerned about the loss of the pennies concept, the thought and actions are still there but necessity requires some adjustments. We will set up a thread on Pirate4X4 called Built for Pennies where everyone can track our fund raising progress as well as later the build. We also will have two on going lists; sponsors and donors. We will list all donors by name only with no reference to how much is donated. I want to track who gives what so just in case this doesn’t work out, I want to return every PENNY donated – I don’t want to keep any part of these funds. It has been suggested we have three levels of donors; silver, gold and platinum but I’m thinking Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Titanium. Everyone that donates is Aluminum then at 10,000 pennies you go to Stainless Steel and at 50,000 pennies you become Titanium.

What do you guys think of the levels, does it take away from the simplicity of this or does it recognize people that work harder? What do you guys think of the rest of these ideas? Any suggestions?

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve decided not to have levels of donors; I just don’t like the feel of it. Therefore, every donors name will be listed but no reference to how much donated.

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in December I posted the following:

Here we go again; here I am working on the “Feature Truck Technical Information & Release Form” for 4 Wheel & Off-Road. At 11:58PM my phone rang and my wife Debbie asked from the other room who the heck is calling at this time of night. I looked at my phone’s caller ID and it showed Debbie Payne and her phone number. I answered the phone and could hear noise that sounded like a bunch of people off in a distance talking softly. I kept say hello and then it hung up. By that time Debbie was standing next to me and asks “Who called” and I said, “You did”. I showed her the call record which showed Debbie Payne and her number. I asked, “Did you loose your phone, where is your phone”. She said, “It’s in the Kitchen”. I followed her into the Kitchen and her phone was lying on the counter. I pushed recall to call back whoever called me and her phone rang.

Then this week I had the Built for Pennies dream and then today I believe I received conformation on everything that we are discussing doing here.

When I arrived at work today; as I opened the door to my office, just inside the door was a penny lying on the floor where I couldn’t miss it. No one had been in the office over the weekend and I had not told anyone about the Built for Pennies dream. Then at 10:43AM I was setting at my desk between meetings working on my emails with my phone lying over in the middle of my desk. At that time my phone rang and I answered and all I heard was light static and I said hello three times and then looked at the screen to see who was calling and it said Ken Payne and my cell phone number which is impossible. I stared at it for a couple of minutes and then called Debbie to tell her. She just said that J has found a way to let me know he is around and it’s a way I can understand and not rationalize away.

·
Unofficial Thread Killer.
756 Posts
I dont think you would have to recognize everyone individually that contributes. I think that just putting GMFullsize.com as a sponsor would show that we support "Built for Pennies". We dont want personal recognition, we just want it built.

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Friends of Jason:

I've been purposely off the forums while I did some deep soul searching. I really appreciate everyone's offers to participate in the Built4Pennies Buggy but I've decided not to accept money donations towards the build and will be returning all donations received. Money; even pennies, is just too tight in this economy and I really feel uncomfortable accepting your hard earned money. This doesn't mean the build is off, it just means JR and I will be approaching this build in a different way. I will keep everyone updated as to what we are doing and / or not doing as we go.

Thank you again and sorry for the confusion.

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AS POSTED BY JR ON PIRATE4X4:

I think it’s really honorable that people want to be involved with the project and commend you for it! It was great to see how so many people chipped in and helped to complete Jason’s green truggy build that he started. However, we are starting something new and it’s entire purpose is to be a dominate force in KOH. Ken and I both agree Jason never intended to have his cad drawings be the blue prints for a KOH car. He would have made lots of changes, especially, after talking to me. We also agree that there can be no compromise in the design of the new car or it would be pointless to build.

Because of the competitive nature of KOH, I feel it’s best not to disclose lots of information with pics and discussion about the build-up. There will be something, just not pages and pages of drama.

I believe Ken made the right decision to not accept donations for the build.
Accepting such donations based on Jason’s spiritual message will send a confusing theme that may not be consistent with the build’s purpose. There could also be also be some legality issues associated with accepting donations.

Finally, there could be conflicting interest with Pirate4x4.com to use their site to generate donations for a cause they did not approve of. The fact that I am sponsored by them makes the issue even stickier with me. It’s a great idea, but the problems and logistics out weigh the benefits, sorry.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Wonder if you could set up a bank account at a nationwide bank, then people could donate their change...have them dump it in a machine and then thats deposited...I dunno

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: The building of J’s Buggy is off at this time. Our builder/driver; JR, has succeeded in procuring a full sponsorship for 2010 and will be building HIS dream Killer KOH Rig. Before anyone gets upset; I support his decision and understand completely. Anyone who had an opportunity to build his or her’s own dream and someone said here’s a shop and the money now go forth and kick ass, we would all jump at the chance. Team Willyswanter will once again be behind JR and part of his pit crew and do whatever we can to support him and his effort.

As for the Built4Pennies buggy; I’m not giving up but rather regrouping to determine should or if we proceed and if we do, when and who will be involved. I’m going to continue talking to possible sponsors to see what kind of support I can drum up for the Built4Pennies buggy which will most likely never win a race but everyone will know it was there and it will be seen by millions. And maybe, just maybe, we can show people that a slightly oversized buggy with inexperienced drivers can kick some ass too. Otherwise we will need shirts like my Team Fun Buggy shirt that says “Sorry I’m Slow”; but we will need something like “Sorry I Ran Over You”.

So guys keep saving your pennies (just pennies) and we will regroup and overcome somehow and in the mean time; GO GET’M JR!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts