GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a motor for my truck. Its a 1999 silverado 1500 with a 5.3l Vortec. This is and will be my daily driver. So it will need to be streetable but still be a weekend racer on occasion. I was thinking a 383 stroker or will that not be a good street friendly motor? I will build the motor over time and when its all complete ill use a carbed intake to crank it up and break it in before i set it in the truck then ill swap all the fuel injection stuff on it. Can i get a set of stock heads from a junkyard have them rebuilt and ported and pollished to work on a 383. Will the stock computer work with a programmer. One where i can switch from a street tune to a track tune. Any advice or sugestions or anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone while being bored

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
So are you building the 5.3 or stroking a 383 and then buying a efi setup? Or are you wanting to make the 5.3 a 383?

And no a handheld tuner is not going to work even with the confusion I have read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No im gonna build a motor and put it in the truck with the efi thats in the truck now

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
:roflmao: what a joke

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
So what constitutes "EFI" for you, OP?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
this thread

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Dude, you need to take time to understand you engine and the power it is capable of. To get that engine to run with a carb is $$$$ as it requires a special intake and a whole different ignition system that is not cheap. Read before you wrench.

·
Still Most Hated
1,607 Posts
No im gonna build a motor and put it in the truck with the efi thats in the truck now

that's a difficult way to go about it... and a step backwards in technology. instead of dropping in a motor from the 70s...why not search out a 6.0L LS motor and drop in cams and heads? what kind of power are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
didnt know 6.0 had camS

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts

So your going to build a 383 from a 350 block and then put the 5.3 intake and fuel system on the 383?

Please tell me I am wrong.

·
Registered
900 Posts
So your going to build a 383 from a 350 block and then put the 5.3 intake and fuel system on the 383?

Please tell me I am wrong.
No that's actually What's he's saying

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What wrong with that cant i just upgrade the fuel system by putting in a bigger fuel pump bigger injector and stuff if not tell me what i could do to have a fast street truck and fast truck at the track. Or what motor will swap in the truck with out swapping computer and woiring harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude, you need to take time to understand you engine and the power it is capable of. To get that engine to run with a carb is $$$$ as it requires a special intake and a whole different ignition system that is not cheap. Read before you wrench.

I said i would build a motor and put a carb intake on it to run it to break it in then put it in the trauck with the stock EFI intake and stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand efi and carb motor i just dont know much about interchangeability of GM motors. I just want to know if i can build a newer model 350 based stroker with a set of worked stock heads and use the intake and stuff thats in the truck now

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
yeah, they welcome ur kind there

1 - 20 of 31 Posts