GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having some drive issues which I believe to be my tranny finally dying. I was wondering what kind of uprgardes should be done for a well used tranny offroad? I know it needs quick shifts to keep it cooler and a beefed up sun shell, but specifically what parts or where could I find a performance 4L60e? I was looking on ebay at a rebuilt towing 4l60e for $1100, but his responses say he takes like a month. Also what should I be looking at for price, ie does $1100 soundd good?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
willyswanter said:
Get a 4l80e, way more stronger stock than a beefed 4l60e. Mine has 170k on it and has never been rebuilt and I'm not easy on it.
:word: 4l60e and strong don't really go in the same sentence... :imo

Philmont specs all its suburbans with 4l80e's for a reason. All the trucks have NV4500's. The one vehicle on the ranch that came with a 4l60e (it was donated...) has had its tranny replaced 3 times, and its only got 70k on it. The 4l80e lasts much longer, however you will notice that with a 350 it will feel more sluggish.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
cons of 4l80e:
-not as low of a 1st gear
-takes almost 30 more HP to turn than a stock 4l60e
-needs modification to tranny crossmember etc to fit

im in the same boat almost, trying to decide what to do when my tranny goes. Built 4l60e or 4l80e. Im leaning 4l80e

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
they can be beefed with stronger parts. if you want to invest a little bit more time and money. do as said and swap in a 4l80e

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
A PROPERLY built 4L60E can take some serious power, what usually takes a shit is the 3-4 clutch pack as it's not clearanced properly or it's the endplay...if not those then it's a lack of fluid flow at higher RPMs or just a complete shit build to begin with.

Sure the 4l80E is stronger but it's cost prohibitive by a good deal over a 4L60E. Nothing swaps "right" over. You need the trans, converter, program the PCM, swap harness, fab an x-member, flexplate, driveshafts, t-case, etc. You're looking at a solid $3k all said and done if not more if you pay someone to do it... where you can get away with a built 4L60E for usually $1500-1800 installed and out the door WITH warranty if you're smart.

In a heavy ass truck, I'd say a built 4L60E could take a solid 500rwtq before taking a shit. Torque is the enemy next to weight, if you have your truck geared very low that will help ease the pain the 4L60E will have to endure.

Do a search for my user name in the Performance section of this site, I posted up a few pages of the internals for a kickass 4L60E buildup.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My budjet will not be ok with a 4L80e as it does require not only the unit but the extras. A built 4L60e will do me just fine, I just need built unit, not a remanufactured POS. I completely understand that if I towed or had a truck that weighed 7900 lbs. that I rock crawled with a solid front axle, how a 4L80e would be required, but being a half ton w/ max of 35's and IFS, i think I will be fine. I just gotta keep the temp down.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
hey, i'm just curious... did any nbs 1/2 ton silverados ever come with the 4L80E? Or is the 4L60E the only option?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The 1500HD came with a 4L80E if you consider it a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
So my truck should have the 4L60E then. THis is sad that I don't know this.

Also, what is the different between an auto-trac transer case and a truck like mine that has the floor shifter?

If i were to put a solid front axle in my truck, would I need a new transfer case, even if i don't have auto trac?

I'm sorry i stole your thread big green

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
klemmentine said:
So my truck should have the 4L60E then. THis is sad that I don't know this.

Also, what is the different between an auto-trac transer case and a truck like mine that has the floor shifter?

If i were to put a solid front axle in my truck, would I need a new transfer case, even if i don't have auto trac?

I'm sorry i stole your thread big green

Hell, when I first got my old '99 Z71 I was :think: when I saw it had T-bars instead of coils up front! lol

AutoTrac is an extra function that monitors wheel slip and applies the internal clutches in the case. When the case is locked in it powers the front wheels limiting the slip. It's pretty cool uses ABS and VSS's to operate from what I understand.

Dunno about the SFA, but I think you'll need a new T-case (older NP prolly) with the output to the front axle on the opposite side... :think:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yeah, sorry... i know what auto trac does... and I have never heard anything great about it, that's why i opted to get a z71 with the floor shifter... i felt like there was less stuff to go wrong, and plus it was cheaper.

I'm wondering if there is any difference from auto trac, compared to my transfer case if i were to do a SFA. are there any pro's to having the floor shifter... or is a SFA swap easier (cheaper) compared to a nbs with auto trac.

thanks for the help hitman

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
nope you have a np241 so you could use it. You just need about 8k more in parts and someone to instal teh SFA!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
what front axle would fit on my truck, with the output shaft on the driver's side? And dark eternal.. can you explain in general how the steering setup works when you go to sfa? Like.. do you keep your idler and pitman arms and use a complete cross over steering setup, or what?

I'm just thinking for later on down the road

1 - 18 of 18 Posts