GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my entire front end is disassembled. I will take some pics of the install and post them. IT's Finally getting done. PICS WILL BE UP TOMMOROW

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
what size lift did you go with? what tires/rims are you going to be running?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok its saturday night.

Today was a bad day. I could not get the discount on my bolts and the rest of the hardware, and I am sure as many of you know Grade 8 stuff adds up quick. Luckily the guy I am installing it has a back door hook up at the store. The bad news is the guy isnt working till monday. So that was a setback

What I did get done today: Stripped the frame of that horrible wax. Removed the bump stops, and got the entire front suspension off. Painted the frame black (looks a lot better than the wax)

It was my first time using a plasma cutter so that was a learning experience (next time I will be sure to wear long sleaves, the metal shards damn near burnt all the hair off my arms.)

Tommorow , sunday, I will get the drop down cage on and drop my rack on pinion steering have that all done. I will also pull out the rear leafs so it will go faster on monday. I will also get the extra hole drilled in each lower control arm to accomodate the spring wedges

I will be sure to bring the digital camera tommorow and get some pics up

It absolutely has to be done by monday night, I am already ditching school

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TIE RODS: for now I am using the stock ones (my rack just drops right down) In about three weeks the truck is going back and new tie rods with heims on both ends will be put in. I am only running 37" PJs so I can get away with the tie rods like they are because the only off roading my truck will be seeing is a little bit of playin in the sand at glamis

The back door hookup is good, Instead of charging for GR 8 he charges for a cheaper metal, he wasnt working on saturday, thay are closed sunday, and monday he will be there for sure

Wheels and tires someone asked 16.5 Weld Mountain Crusher on a 37x12.50 R16.5 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip. Eventually I will y do a 4" CST spindle and put a block in the back and go with 38s but not untill I have another Daily Driver

OK, I am leaving for the shop now with the digital camera in my hand

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, how do I upload pics on here, do I have to have a seperate place online where they are or can I attach them directly through here?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adam said:
You can e-mail them to me [email protected]

I'll host them when I get home today from work, around 6p PST.

sorry no pics guys, I get to into the install when I am there to take them.

Big problem today: Got the whole kit on and went to put the front rims on. The camber is horrible. Its all the way adjusted to compensate too. We figured out the problem though. The control arms I have were meant to put on with a 4" CST spindle. Bulletproof is extremely backed up, and since new control arms are gonna cost me a couple hundred bucks I figured, why not get a spindle as well. So now the lift is going to be a total of 17.5" I already have a set of powdercoated leaf springs for the rear that are 14"

So in conclusion, my truck will be lifted 17" in the front and 14 in the rear on 37" PJs

I believe that I am insane, Adam, how is driving your truck everyday. I have had a lifted truck before, but nothing like this. I will try and get some pics up this weekned

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
well since you are a 2wd you will be as big as me. It is going to look a little funny with 37's but not that bad. Throw a 2" block in the back cuz a 3" difference is way too much.

Driving it isn't that hard. Just pay more attention before turning and backing up

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I agree with the bigger tires allthough your IFS wont like it. I would run some 38 STS or something light. 2wd wheel bearings have a bad habbit of failing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stock uppers dont go with the drop down brackets

its a good thing I work at the dealer. I think my cost on those hubs is only like 50 bucks.

I just dropped a grand on those tires so I am gonna keep them. Maybe I should go like CDubzon40z and get some of those 22s on 40s just so I can say so lol, JK.

anyways, that spindle is the only thing left to do on the truck, everything else is done. I am gonna get new tie rods soon, and gears

speaking of gears, anyone have some 4.56s or 4.88s for a 10 bolt

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Man i am way excited to see your truck, sounds like its gonna be bad ass. hurry up with those pics!! :rocking:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts