GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do to prevent it from saaging? My front shocks Rancho 9000's are set to medium, I tried to set them to heavy off-road "9" but when they installed them they had to cut the knobs off, so I can't turn them anymore.
I talked to 4wheelparts to fix that and they are ordering new knobs and turn the shocks. Are there heavy duty springs I might be able to use to maintain my ride height?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You could use 3/4 ton springs in there and that might take care of it, or get some coil spring spacers. I think one of those would work.

·
Bigger than you!
196 Posts
I think that spacers would only be a temporary fix since your springs will continue to sag.You would be time and money ahead in the long run to get the 3/4 or 1 ton front springs.

I have a 3/4 ton and still had to get double shock hoops to keep the frontend from bouncing when offroad,those front replacements are just heavy.

·
Wheel On'
1,414 Posts
why did they cut the knobs?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I noticed nobody has directly stated, shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Ride height (sag) is determined by the springs. Shocks can affect the stiffness in a sense by different dampening, but no effect on height.

I doubt a dealer woudl install 3/4 tons springs on a 1/2 ton.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I really don't see how shocks will stop it from saggin...no matter what, theres gonna be all that extra weight on the front end...the only way stiffer shocks might help is that it won't allow the front end to drop down as far when u hit bumps and whatnot, so it didn't make the spring compress as much, but i think that it would be minimal, and for this to work, would have to be REALLLY stiff...and you wouldn't like the ride then. go ahead and get heavier duty springs like stated, 3/4 ton might be just the ticket for this setup. and like nich1 said, it will make ur front end bouce around a lil more off road since its more leverage over the front end...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
jebx said:
I noticed nobody has directly stated, shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Ride height (sag) is determined by the springs. Shocks can affect the stiffness in a sense by different dampening, but no effect on height.

I doubt a dealer woudl install 3/4 tons springs on a 1/2 ton.
:word: exactly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts