GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got everythign installed in my buddies truck, new amp and everything...turned up the music a little bit, not even that loud, and we start smellin smoke...that was only after 60 secs of playin it. I looked around and didn't see anything, got him to turn it up some again, more smoke, and i see some comin out of the box, so we take out the sub and ill be damned...nice gray cloud coming out of it. the sub was a CVR 10-2 (dual 2 ohm voice coils) wired up to have 4 ohms resistance (300watts RMS and 600watt max sub) and the amp is 600 max, 300 rms at 4 ohms...we didn't have anything turned up, bass boost was right around 0, we didn't have the lows turned up much on the H/U...so was this just a shitty sub or what?? we are gonna try to take it back since it was only played for 15 mins...

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
must just be a bad one

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don't know what the problem is, I have had a pair of 10" CVR's in a virtualtech box in my blazer for a good while now on a kenwood 600w and i haven't had a problem with it.

·
why jonny ringo...
629 Posts
are you sure you wired the coils up right?, or maybe one could have fallen off?? kinda bizarre for it to happen that way, if one coil was wired and the other fell off, i supposse it could realease some smoke, that smoke is damn hard to get back inside woofers too :D

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
It sounds like a bad sub if you wired everything right.

I've heard of a few MTX 6000's doing that. Make sure that none of the positive and negative wires or voice coils are touching eachother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts