GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 ck1500 5.7 350tbi...
I changed the oil two weeks ago, put 6 courts in. Ever since then I been seein white or mixed smoked comin out the pipes when I get on it. Yesterday I drove 3 hours to shirley arkansas and 3 hours back today, got back in town see the "check gauges" light and my oil pressure is at 0 :insane: get out the dipstick shows full when its running, 2 seconds after I cut it off shes bone dry. There oil spots are visible ontop of the intake, looks like its mixed in with radiator fluid, and as for the undercarriage you can see it from the oil filter forward. Theres not any oil on the oil filter though. no oils showing up on the driveway either :think:

also, I guess this is a good time to mention a few times in the last year when I go to take off the oil filter, that little stem that it screws onto comes out with it...that cant be good. :argh:

I dont think its the rear main seal more like intake gasket/figure out what to do about that stem coming out with the filter. What do yall think?

griffin

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
I dunno, but that sounds fubar'd.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
sounds like mine. Mine burns a ton (valve guides i believe) and leaks a lil out of the valve cover gasket.

how many mines? ever had a lot of water in the crankcase or anything along those lines? water kills motors, quick.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yeah, my old Blazer used to do that. Her name was "Smokey." :) Valve guides were gone. Happens when a vehicle sits for 2 years, I guess.:pow:

When that comes off with the fiter, it usually means the filter was put on too tight, at least once, and when removed it carries the stem with it. Can tighten it again, if you can find two nuts big enough fit the threads. put them on the threads and use the last one on to tighten the stem. May work. Or just don't put the filter on real tight. Just put clean oil on the filter's gasket when you install it. I generally only hand tighten it, as long as there's room for my hand to get a good grip. But no more 1/4 turn with a filter wrench.

Don't check your dipstick while running. Do it after it's off for 10 minutes or so. That's your reading.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Doubt this would have contributed to your problem but your truck doesn't need 6 quarts. With the stock pan the specified capacity is 5 quarts. Don't keep adding until it registers ok on the dipstick before you start it up again. I would guess a quart of what you are adding isn't making it down to the pan in the time you are checking the dipstick.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doubt this would have contributed to your problem but your truck doesn't need 6 quarts. With the stock pan the specified capacity is 5 quarts. Don't keep adding until it registers ok on the dipstick before you start it up again. I would guess a quart of what you are adding isn't making it down to the pan in the time you are checking the dipstick.
yeah thats what I had always put in was 5 quarts, but my "know it all" dumbass friend kept saying it would hold 6 so when it got to smoking i figured it was just burning off that one quart but ive added four since its been empty and it still smokes a little bit when i gun it.

anyways... this is what Im looking at on ebay
Chevy 350 LT Truck Engine Master Rebuild Kit
3d_1.gif

what do yall think? Should I shoot for the rebuild or a new engine? (which I can't afford so lets leave that as a last resort)
my friends dad is a great mechanic on this engine so I was thinking about paying him to rebuild it and while im at it help him out and learn a few things.
What do yall think is it worth a shot to rebuild or does someone gotta better suggestion?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you've got alternate means of transportation i would say heck yea rebuild the thing. The learning experience will be priceless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ummm, why the hell would you add more oil than what the manufacturer recommends?...do you think the GM engineers dont know what theyre doing?...Go kick your friends ass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts