GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I change the fluid and filter or just buy a new one / rebuild?

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I would say just get a transmission Is that why you dont have a second gear is becuause you "burnt" the tranny? Have you been running it to hard?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well is the fluid level proper? You may be able to limp around for a while more.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fluid level is good but is brown and smells burnt. I have been driving fine lately. little playing last week. drove slow last time I drove it and it felt fine. this morning drove slow bc it was cold and I was tired and noticed second was slipping badly

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i'm pretty sure this trans has seen its last day. What trans do you guys recommend to replace it? Local shop rebuild? FLT lvl5 70e? Performabuilt? 80e?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You could easily justify an 80E due to your tires, weight, instant torque off idle, etc.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Lots of good candidates if you are looking at ordering one online.

But, IMO, if you've got a reputable shop local, it's worth dealing with them for at least a couple of reasons...

1) supports your local economy/small businesses.
2) if something DOES break under warranty, it's better to just tow the truck back to the shop, rather than pulling/shipping the bitch.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I would go local if at all possible.. It would be hell to ship a tranny back and whatnot if somthing were to happen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blew my 4L80e this past winter. After much debate, I went with the local shop rebuild. Couldn't have been any happier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts