GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this awful squeak/creak coming from my front end, and havn't really isolated it. I got under there today and coated everything in about 3 coats of silicone spray and it almost got quieter. I did notice while I was under there that the stock rubber bushings on just about everything are all dry rotted, with pieces hanging out everywhere, so I think it would probably be wise to replace them. I have seen the Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings before, and I was curious if anybody had any info on them, how they are compared to stock etc. I like poly better than rubber anyway so I'm thinking of finding a set of those and installing them. Where do I find them anyway? 1994 Chevy blazer 4x4. :bowtie:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I looked around a bit, at www.central4wd.com I could get all the bushings for the front end (control arms and sway bar) for 87 bucks, free shipping. How does that sound? I've never priced stock bushings...

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
That sounds pretty good, Ive only repleced my upper control arm bushings, and they where 8 a piece for rubber ones. So figure $32 for rubber replacements, poly will last forever so double the price, through in sway bar and lca bushings and it souns like a good deal. Your going to have to have the uppers pressed out and new ones pressed in, it cost me $10 a bushing, so $40 for all 4.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
we an get that taken care of no problem. I ordered my KC lights from central, they had the best price and shipped fast. BTW I really think its your shock, it didnt seem to be comming from the lca or uca when I had my head under there. Allthough it is kidna hard to tell in a loud parking lot :crazy:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I could prolly use one anyway. It might be the shock, I dunno. I got under there with the wheel off and of course it stopped making noise. So I put the wheel back on and now it sounds like it came from the passenger side for a bit. Sooooo...since those bushings are pretty much disappearing anyway I may as well replace them and see what happens.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Ok, I have been having a similiar issue, but have solved it. The cause: I removed my shock boots and the metal disk at the top of the shock was slightly rubbing the tower, I used a dremel and cut 1/2 of it off and no more problem! Also tighten the shock mounting bolts on OBS and use locktight otherwise they can be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah its not that kind of squeak, its much much more "powerful" i'd like to say, as in...if you are really still you can feel it in the pedals... Yeah shocks have to be put down really tight, I hate doing shocks.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Ok, just thought I'd say something. Shocks are ridiculous, you'd think with just 4 standard bolts they'd be easy but no, there a little b$%^h if you don't do them right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Finally got all my front suspension back in a couple days ago along with an alignment. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I will have to see if I can find my recipts from everything but that price for poly sounds damn good. I replaced ALL the bushings and ALL the Ball Joints, and ALL the steering components (except the pitman and centerlink which showed minimal wear) and now the thing is so responsive and smooth! I also researched poly a little before buying OEM replacement bushings. What I found is that all you get is the poly, period. All the metal sleeves have to be retained from your old bushings which is gonna raise the cost of the project because someone has to press out the old bushing, press out the rubber, press in the poly, then press the bushing back into the control arm. Weather is not that harsh here in South Carolina so I figured as well as the stock rubber bushing held up before I would just go back with rubber because I doubt I will drive this Tahoe for another 125K (which is what is on it now). As a warning though, if you plan to tackle all this yourself be prepared to curse, buy tools when you break your current ones, drill out some bolts that are probably stuck, bleed, sweat, curse some more, and most importantly... be ready to give up LOTS of BEER MONEY cause its gonna piss you off! But its well worth the effort because it doesn't even drive like the same vehicle now. :rockit:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
yup tools arnt an issue, I can literally build suspension from scratch in my garage. Ive pressed bushings in and out many times lately...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Prothane makes urethane kits also, may wanna check them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.