GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is that a bad idea?
theres a local lot around here that gets quite a few 03/04 duramax trucks that are pretty clean, with 85-120k miles... some have goosenecks, most dont.
whatre the differences between the LB7 and LLY?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
I had a 03 gmc duramax at work that we traded in. it had 225k on it, and it was all highway miles, towing a 36 foot gooseneck trailer. Only problem we had was a torque converter go out, which took out the trans. It was still running strong.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
either one will be good for 300 k the lb7 has a problem with the injectors going out and has about 50 hp less and less tq than the lly. some of the llys have overheating problems i have one though and it never has.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i remember the big injector recall when they first came out... but from what i know, the LLY is more powerful, but the LB7 has better fuel economy.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
If its been taken care of I would be fine with it

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
LLY- variable geometry turbo. had some overheating problems. my dads LLY is good and has 37k on it. My LB7 had the injectors replaced at 30k my truck gets better milege than my dads but it always depends on motor to motor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone says a diesel will go for ever, that is bull. The guy that had it before the car lot could have drove the shit out of it. You never know.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My FIL is a Mopar guy. He only drives Dodge trucks and has no problem buying one with over 200k miles. He says "it's just broken in". He hasn't had any issues either. I read that a guy on one of the forums works at a dealer. Someone brought his truck in for basic service and it had over 350k miles on the odometer. I'm lucky to break 20k miles with my trucks :)

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
LLY- variable geometry turbo. had some overheating problems. my dads LLY is good and has 37k on it. My LB7 had the injectors replaced at 30k my truck gets better milege than my dads but it always depends on motor to motor
whats you mpg i stay around 20

i think the reason is the lly have cat on them

·
Registered
921 Posts
get a cummins and dont worry about it.

·
Must be lost..
1,148 Posts
get a cummins and dont worry about it.
Yeah what he said. What would you have to worry about? Other then the piece of shit auto trans, interior that falls apart, cheap carpet and seats.. the list goes on. But yeah by the dodge :pow:

·
concrete redneck
1,923 Posts
whats you mpg i stay around 20

i think the reason is the lly have cat on them
yea they have the cat and egr system and different injectors.

personally i'd say go for it if the price is right, but i'd do a carfax on it first to find out what's been warrantied on it so far. the injectors are warrantied for 200k so your good there if they havn't been done yet. first thing i'd do however would be to get that stock crap converter out of there and drop in a Suncoast, ATS, or BD.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah what he said. What would you have to worry about? Other then the piece of shit auto trans, interior that falls apart, cheap carpet and seats.. the list goes on. But yeah by the dodge :pow:
you must be a proud owner of a duramax that been proven for what 4 years??? POS auto trans?? thats why the 48re can be built bulletproof easier and cheaper than the allison??? i have 200k on my STOCK 48re. POS i think not. Allison more of a name than anything, i think so. sure the ally might shift nice but when you start running high HP thru it is dies just like the 48re does.

I pull for a living buddy, i have owned all of the big 3. cummins powered trucks outnumber chevy and ford 4 to 1 at EVERY truck stop. Just seeing that is reason enough to buy a cummins.

strap 20k to your dmax and lets go head to head. i make peak torque at 1500rpms how about you???

·
Registered
921 Posts
and yes i own a duramax and dodge. dodge is more of a real work truck. dmax is more for city folk who want to lift it and put 20" rims and just say they have a diesel truck. my first duramax let me down at 70k. cant say the same for any of the numerous 5.9 cummins i have owned. they just keep going and going. i am speaking from real world experience.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and yes i own a duramax and dodge. dodge is more of a real work truck. dmax is more for city folk who want to lift it and put 20" rims and just say they have a diesel truck. my first duramax let me down at 70k. cant say the same for any of the numerous 5.9 cummins i have owned. they just keep going and going. i am speaking from real world experience.
then whyd you buy another duramax if its such a pos? :think:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I pull for a living buddy, i have owned all of the big 3. cummins powered trucks outnumber chevy and ford 4 to 1 at EVERY truck stop. Just seeing that is reason enough to buy a cummins.

strap 20k to your dmax and lets go head to head. i make peak torque at 1500rpms how about you???
:LOL:

1500 rpms in 4th gear is what 55 mph? Cummins is a beast no doubt but not the best puller out of the big three.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts