GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a vehicle from canada and drove it back to the US? Looking at a vehicle in ontario and I'm trying to figure out how hard or simple it is. Can i just buy it and drive it across the border? Is there a duty fee on the purchase? From what iv read online it appears a 2.5% duty on the cost of the truck and just have Bill of Sale, Registration, proof of insurance and your good. Assuming what iv read is correct? Just curious if anyone has experience with this can shed some light on it for me.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
you live in florida and want to buy a car from Canada?
that's the first I have heard of that. lol
you don't want the rust buckets we have out here

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Unless your picking up something old and super rare its not worth it now with our dollar

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Unless your picking up something old and super rare its not worth it now with our dollar
Trucks here are 2/3rds the price they are down in Merica.

·
Widdlefawk
599 Posts
Trucks here are 2/3rds the price they are down in Merica.
Maybe in the prairies, not the rest of Canada.

When the dollar was on par, we were importing Arizona trucks sight unseen. Now that the dollar is tanked, it's not worth the RIV fees.

Why would anyone want a vehicle that's been through the hell of salty winter in a state where salt is in the sea and winter means you might pants before noon?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you live in florida and want to buy a car from Canada?
that's the first I have heard of that. lol
you don't want the rust buckets we have out here
Lets just say trucks are over priced as hell in florida and seems i might find a deal in canada. Not too worried on the rust issue but will have inspected before i make the decision!

Your dollar is .79 cents to an american dollar at the moment. If i can pick this truck up for 7-8K US dollars get it back to florida, it would be a no brainer...Pending its not rusted to hell and back. My Last Silverado came from michigan then kansas and wasn't bad on the rust side.

I looked up the RIV fee is but thats just import fee.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
word with the rest of the people. you don't want a vehicle from here unless it is super rare. even what we consider nice would be absolutely ruined compared to something thats never saw a salty winter. Ive saw nnbs with rot holes over the box sides and rotted cab corners. theres a reason people have full time jobs bringing up southern boxes and selling them for $1500 a piece.

·
Widdlefawk
599 Posts
You do realize its been so fucking cold here my truck has 0psi oil pressure for 7sec on startup, less than 30psi at idle for 5min, then 75psi at idle for the next 10 min it idles.

Then the 4l60e slips the torque converter clutch until the trans reaches 70'F (IIRC).

My hour meter is probably on par with a cop car or taxi.

Then you hit the road that is covered in highly concentrated and excessively corrosive salt slurry, for 5 months of the year. No point in washing it off, just gets covered again if you DD it.

No, no savings to be had.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I were you I'd just buy a vehicle from where your from, I wouldn't even consider buy anything from Ontario, first thing I ask someone when I look at a used truck is to make sure it's from my province or the one next door, the east is bad for winter thrashed vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,695 Posts
Hell I don't even want a truck my state let alone going through all of that to get it to the us just to still have rust

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn thats ton of negativity, but you all know better than i do thats for sure.

Really make me think twice about this. The truck is in Carleton Place, Ontario. I figured a reg cab lbz with 120k miles might be worth coming up for at 10k or less. waiting on pics of the frame and cab corners. but if everyone says stay away like its sounding. I'm probably gonna forget about it. Got a 05 lly single cab with 61k miles locally i'll think on.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I'd buy locally so there are no surprises. If you decide to travel, pick one from a snow/salt free state and make sure it's always been in that state via carfax or other means. After being in Minnesota and Illinois last year, I'd never want a used vehicle from that region. Even newer ones had rust. Most of the 99-06 trucks had chunks missing out of the rockers and other areas. No thank you!

·
Widdlefawk
599 Posts
Damn thats ton of negativity, but you all know better than i do thats for sure.

Really make me think twice about this. The truck is in Carleton Place, Ontario. I figured a reg cab lbz with 120k miles might be worth coming up for at 10k or less. waiting on pics of the frame and cab corners. but if everyone says stay away like its sounding. I'm probably gonna forget about it. Got a 05 lly single cab with 61k miles locally i'll think on.
That's exactly where i live. Salty -40 shithole that eats trucks.

Isn't even a car wash in town man, lol.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah snows a bitch all year round i bet.. Heres a few pics, waiting on under carriage pics... Probably gonna pass on it.
IMG_3099_zpsygrpfaql.jpg

IMG_3100_zpslmo3ebd7.jpg

IMG_3102_zpscuzb4hde.jpg

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,695 Posts
People don't usually bed line the lower body because it is clean.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Depends, Up here we do so it Doesn't rot lol

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
see that front valance cut out? means its been a plow truck and my gas cap door isn't even near that rotted and my trucks cab corners and rockers are gone. that trucks a pos.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts