GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forums and couldn't find much info about CAI's for a 4.8 engine. Any complaints or info about brands? Would a drop in K&N be better?

Thanks

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
you can make a CAI cheaper than you can buy one. They're really not worth the money. Buy a drop in filter and drill holes in your stock airbox:imo

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about building one over a drop in? I found the site that you gave other people. Is there anything I should know about making one? like what size pipes, or how to run it?
thanks

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably going to get a tune at the begginning of july as well. Will that make a difference w/ a CAI?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I'm probably going to get a tune at the begginning of july as well. Will that make a difference w/ a CAI?
no

try intakeelbows.com

they have some good pieces, then just buy a cone filter or modify your stock air box and go from there. The actual intake tube is the only place you could pick up some extra CFM. Plus I just noticed your in CA. You either need to make sure you get smogged at a place where you know someone or otherwise your going to have to shell out the money for a good one. If you catch an inspector that knows his shit, all CAIs in CA need a CARB # if you want to pass smog :imo. I know it's retarded but hey it's the price you gotta pay to play :imo

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
eh, personally if my truck didnt already have a different setup when i bought it, i would've kept the factory stuff. honestly, for the money you'll spend on a CAI, you'd be better off buying a set of Underdrive pulleys or something else. i would suggest a tune but you're already getting one.

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
Cut out bottom of airbox
AIRAID intake tube
drop in filter

good to go

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the airaid intake tube help air flow? The stock one is pretty nasty. And yes I live in Cali, is the airaid intake tube carb legal?

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eh, personally if my truck didnt already have a different setup when i bought it, i would've kept the factory stuff. honestly, for the money you'll spend on a CAI, you'd be better off buying a set of Underdrive pulleys or something else. i would suggest a tune but you're already getting one.
I wanted to get an intake because it was something I could do myself. I don't know if I could install pulleys by myself.

One of my friends was tellin me that a tune won't do much unless I have some mods like a CAI. Thats the main reason i wanted to get a CAI, to go with a tune. But hes into imports. If a tune is beneficial w/o a cai, mabe i should look at e-fans

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I wanted to get an intake because it was something I could do myself. I don't know if I could install pulleys by myself.

One of my friends was tellin me that a tune won't do much unless I have some mods like a CAI. Thats the main reason i wanted to get a CAI, to go with a tune. But hes into imports. If a tune is beneficial w/o a cai, mabe i should look at e-fans
tell your friend that I said he is an idiot :imo

Tunes can net anywhere from 25-40 RWHP. All while making your engine run more efficiently and helping you get better MPG

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya my main goal right now is just a little better mpg. I'm going to be commuting in it. I know, its a truck. I dont want to give her up though. So i'll do what I can to make it better

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Ya my main goal right now is just a little better mpg. I'm going to be commuting in it. I know, its a truck. I dont want to give her up though. So i'll do what I can to make it better
good luck with that, if you check out the MPG thread a lot of guys arent getting good mileage for whatever reason.

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
You can have a tune be specific to get better gas mileage. You wont get performance but you will get good gas mileage. Or you can just live with the gas mileage and have them tune it for performance. Nelson did my tune and the difference was night and day. I have a Volant Ram Air box with ducting down to the lower valance. It works pretty good. Didn't need a CARB id either as everything is enclosed.

·
I'm a BRO
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya right now I'm getting abougt 15 mpg on the highway, which seems pretty good compared to everyone else. I want to for sure get a tune, but i am stuck on what else. I'm not sure if e-fans, pulleys, or CAI will be best since it is my DD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts