GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I've been looking into buying a GMT900 2500hd. I like the lines and i need something to pull a travel trailer. I've been looking at the 6.0 trucks. I can't afford a duramax right now. I was woundering how owners like them. I also wanted to know what kinda mpg these are getting. I've heard they get better than the last gen trucks, but no numbers for sure. Any help from you guys would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no one around here drives one? I've been hearing around 17 highway with the new 6 speed and 3.73s, just wanted to know if this is ture. I also was wondering what they were like with a tune?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go a few years older you could get a D-max.
Yeah, but the best loan rates are for the 07 and newer, but the duramaxs in my area are out of my price range. There are a lot of really nice 6.0 trucks in that range.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
u will regret not getting a DMAX. I know I love driving mine everyday. and towing power cant touch it

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
My buddy had one for a week..no joke..couldn't stand it..constantly shifting and hunting for the right gear along with crappy fuel mileage. He had a '02 with 8.1 and got better mileage...took the 6.0 back to the dealer took a 4k hit on it and drove out with the identical truck only this one has the Dmax/Alli combo and he could not be happier.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
dude fork over the cash for the DMAX..better resale too. I SOOOOO Wish I would have gotten a DMAX HD :bawl:

·
Hella
918 Posts
Im happy with my 6.0....its a V8...and its a big ass truck...why people REALLY worry about gas mileage is funny to me. The powers there...it just needs some encouragement. The mileage isnt that much worse then my 5.3 but then again I havent been able to keep my foot off of the right pedal :p

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
If i were to get a 2500hd it would diffinetly be a dmax:shake:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love my 08 2500hd. I've only lost 1mpg over my 07 1500 Z-71 and the 6.0 has so much more power. Plus I think gas engines sound so much better with aftermarket exhuast than diesels with aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I love my 08 2500hd. I've only lost 1mpg over my 07 1500 Z-71 and the 6.0 has so much more power. Plus I think gas engines sound so much better with aftermarket exhuast than diesels with aftermarket exhaust.
I would take a straight piped diesel sound over gas anyday

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
wrong. have you ever heard a jet take off? coolest sound ever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To each his own. I just don't like the sound of diesels. I can't figure out why anyone would want to make a pickup sound like a big rig. But i'm sure you diesels owners say the same thing about the sound of gas engines. Regardless of what it sounds like watkins65 i'm sure you would be pleased with the 6.0

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 6.0 and it works for me at this moment. Once I get a toy hauler a dmax is a must. I have a full throttle lift with 38's and 4.10 gears and it has no balls, once I get my 4.88's I'm sure it will be a different story.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I tow up to 8-9k with my Hd with the 6.0. With a blackbear tune I see 11-13 city highway mix and the 14-15 highway unloaded. Loaded with a heavy load I see 8-10 MPG.
Seriously it isnt any worse than a lifted half ton.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
the biggest issue i had with the older HDs with 6.0 was the 4l80e. now that they have teh 6l80e, it shouldn't be an issue. tighter gearing so it will have power where it needs.

that being said, if i were buying new, id get a diesel...although now with all the new emissions, etc, im not so sure. figure out what you want/need and go from there. for me, my 8.1/alli combo is perfect all the way around. simple, strong ass motor, great towing trans, badass set up all the way around.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I wiah I had the 6L80E. THe 4L80e is FINE by all means but more gears keeps you in the powerband like Nick said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts