GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat kind of horsepower gains can be expected from a 3000 stall converter and a cam (cam with aggressive gains but still capable as a daily driver) on a 6.0L LQ4 that is pretty much stock other than exhaust, TB spacer and intake????

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
a converter won't add any horse power, however it will drop at least 1/2 a second off your E.T.

A cam generally adds around 50rwhp, more or less depending on how big or small you go with.

If I were you, I'd order the tr224. It will go great with your 6.0 and still maintain driveability. I have a 224/224 in my 5.3L and daily drive the shit out of it, and the extra cubes of your motor will make that cam extremely daily driveable.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
If thats the only mods you have as of now then I'd do full bolt ons forst... you wont be able to take advantage of any cam unless you can let that bish breathe :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did a 216/224 .551 115LSA in my 5.3 and gained 76rwhp. The cam came out of a LQ4 and sounded damn good. I drive mine 60miles a day and got 22mpg(before the 4.10's). The cam actually netted me 2mpg

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
76rwhp? thats crazy....i think my next performance mods will be the cam and a torque converter.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I did a 216/224 .551 115LSA in my 5.3 and gained 76rwhp. The cam came out of a LQ4 and sounded damn good. I drive mine 60miles a day and got 22mpg(before the 4.10's). The cam actually netted me 2mpg
Did you ever figure out why your buddy was pulling on you? I 'm pretty sure that was you right?

·
Registered
220 Posts
we're still workin on it. we up the shifts points and it feels a lot better. He prolly pulled me alot because I had 300lbs of cement in the back for traction on the ice. We're still tryin to figure why mine is pulling timing in the upper rpms...It feel great though. I posted some vids over on pt.net after the 4.10's 0-100

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
we're still workin on it. we up the shifts points and it feels a lot better. He prolly pulled me alot because I had 300lbs of cement in the back for traction on the ice. We're still tryin to figure why mine is pulling timing in the upper rpms...It feel great though. I posted some vids over on pt.net after the 4.10's 0-100
Cool, I just don't understand how in the hell you're making great power N/A, but that other guy pulled on you. I got your pm though, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
76rwhp? thats crazy....i think my next performance mods will be the cam and a torque converter.

Yup, stock cams in the trucks are comedy.

That lil 212/218 does over 40rwhp on stock manifolds.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Those are awesome numbers.

But I dont think 76rwhp is the norm.... And to add more mpg, seems kinda weird. Maybe the base tuned was really jacked up. My 5.3 made 251rwhp stock on a mustang dyno.

I think 40-50rwhp is a standard gain for a stock manifold truck. 300rwhp seems right from a cammed 5.3.

What does it run in the 1/4?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those are awesome numbers.

But I dont think 76rwhp is the norm.... And to add more mpg, seems kinda weird. Maybe the base tuned was really jacked up. My 5.3 made 251rwhp stock on a mustang dyno.

I think 40-50rwhp is a standard gain for a stock manifold truck. 300rwhp seems right from a cammed 5.3.

What does it run in the 1/4?

My first tune was right on the money. I netted 2mpg from it as well. Mods before the tune was cai, long tubes, and catless true dual. The tune is EFI Live custom OS speed density. I went from 17mpg before the tune to 19-19.5mpg afterwards. Then we did the cam and retuned and netted 76rwhp and 2mpg gain again giving me 21mpg. The only thing I did to that truck that made it lose mileage was the 4.10's. Lost 2mpg with them LOL.

I never had the truck to the track but I was hoping for high 13's on the spray and low 13's with the spray after the stall converter. But its gone now. '07 classic rcsb 5.3l will be mine in the mornin:evil:

By the way, my truck was about the norm on the dyno we tune at. Most of the 5.3l on that dyno are around 210-215hp before tuning.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
what does it cost to have a cam installed?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Why'd you get rid of the truck???

·
Registered
220 Posts
got a wild hair man...thats all I can really come up with. I just stopped by the stealership and seen my new and had to have it... 0% interested helped too LOL

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I see you are getting a rcsb.. good start!!!... now rent a new escalade and swap out that 6.2 with your 5.3... LOL... did you keep your spray from the white truck?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Link to this TR 224 cam.... My curiosity has been peeked :naughty:

I read over that install and i'm too chicken, but $300-500 sounds doable :)
if you can do a jigsaw puzzle, you can swap a cam in these thiings man... I did mine in one day, thats including springs, a couple trips to the store for misc BS, and lunch... from the time it rolled in the shop to the time I fired it up it took me about 8-9 hrs... its not a hard job at all... the lifters and the crank pulley make it a pain in the ass... thats it though. that TR224 would run tits in your truck.. that 6.0 would love it. put a TT3000 behind it and you've got a nice driver.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts