GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 Z71 5.3, currently it's leveling on 33's.. has 243k miles on it, and i wanna put a cam and headers on it. Cam wise, i've heard i need to stay around 212-220 range and basically any lsa. i found one cam that was like 216218 on 110 lsa which should give it a nice chop.... which is what im looking for.

Header wise, i know longtubes are still king, but are they worth it on our trucks over shortys?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I have a 00 Z71 5.3, currently it's leveling on 33's.. has 243k miles on it, and i wanna put a cam and headers on it. Cam wise, i've heard i need to stay around 212-220 range and basically any lsa. i found one cam that was like 216218 on 110 lsa which should give it a nice chop.... which is what im looking for.

Header wise, i know longtubes are still king, but are they worth it on our trucks over shortys?
with 243k on motor, you may want to rethink motor mods....

Shorties are a waste of money

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done motor mods with ls1's with well over 200k and they are still alive today.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
i have done motor mods with ls1's with well over 200k and they are still alive today.
Make sure you document how long the motor lasts. Also, Thats a super small cam

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, im going based on using a stock convertor too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally, I think shorties are a waste of time and money. Regarding the cam, what is your goal for the truck? Are you wanting high rpm horsepower, or are you wanting low end torque, or a flat torque line across the graph? What you're wanting to accomplish will play a big part in what cam you should use. My suggestion is to call Martin at Tick Performance 336-719-0599, and discuss your goal with him, and allow him to spec you a cam. If you're wanting an off the shelf cam, tell him that, and he'll suggest one that goes with what you're wanting to accomplish. There are other vendors as well, but find someone who is competent and understands the role that specific valve events play in an internal combustion engine.

·
4,725 Posts
Cam wise, i've heard i need to stay around 212-220 range and basically any lsa.
That is absolutely terrible advice. Whoever told you that needs to me throat-punched. Look at my recent posts. I explained in large detail how to select a cam.

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a reason why i am asking others lol...

All the truck is used for is offroad anymore. maybe occasional driving or towing, but i have a MegaCab that i can use anytime i want. soo...

Just looking for a good upgrade and a nice sounding cam

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
nothing wrong with modding a motor with that many miles, just do the normal maintenance like lifters, oil pump and timing chain while you are doing the swap.
don't waste money on putting shortys in, go longtubes.
a 212-218 will work well with a stock converter

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
^ What GREENSIERRA said. Longtubes are king. Pacesetter has a decently priced pair, but if you get the black ones you need to add more header paint than they came with. As for the cam I think you're on track. Should be on kill till 6k rpms. With a motor with that many miles it's a good idea to limit to 6k. Remember new valve springs and new push-rods when you do the swap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Make sure you put the dowel rods into the block when you pull the cam out.

The lifter trick didn't work for me - I had a lifter drop after I hit it with the cam pulling the last lobe out - had to drop the oil pan because of that in my C6.

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I've done some on ls1's and ls2's just not in a truck, plus i did torque convertors in the cars as well. i never used the dowels before, but if im replacing the lifters, there is no point.

probably gonna do LS7 Lifters, Beehive springs, timing chain and probably a stock replacement oil pump. I've seen ported ls6's, but don't really see much gain in them.. I think stock will be plenty. Just trying to find out with cam would exactly fit my needs, i work at a retailer and can get discounts on pacesetter so probably going that route

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
my old l33 had 188k on it and I was spinning it to 6800 numerous times a day. the motor is now in my brothers 92 and still sees 6800 all the time.
maintenance is key

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i boosted my motor at 145k miles... go big or go home ;) that being said i agree with abouve. if you stay stock converter a 212/218 low lift will be a great cam and well complamented with the Headers. shorties are a waste... i ran my tr 220 on a 114 lsa without a converter for a month or 2 it was noticable over stock but the new converter at the time really woke er up

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not against doing a convertor, just won't be at the same time... how was your TR220 drivabilty wise Darnie?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
driveability of a 220 will be fine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts