GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 1500hd. Had a lifter tap, 200xxx.

Bought a BTR cam kit, new oil pump, lifter, ext, mainly for the miles not preformace.

Anywho, broke it down and pulled the cam out untill the second bearing and she was stuck. Gently turned and moved in and out until I heard the dreadful clatter.

Bearing was split when removing, the dents and heavy scratches are from me getting it off the rest of the lobes.

Rest or the bearings look perfect with zero bronze showing. Is this 6.0 block saveable?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it to a machine shop, have it bored and oversized bearings installed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Guess I’ll call In the AM and find out. Seems like #3 falling/spinning is pretty common on early LS motors according to google. First I’ve seen it.

Already close to upside down on this truck. Was planning on selling it for income tax season.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a block in my garage with the same thing, #3 bearing was fucked up. I called my machinist and he said it was common and as long as the surface in the block where the cam bearing is pressed in isn't spun too badly then it would be fine.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a block in my garage with the same thing, #3 bearing was fucked up. I called my machinist and he said it was common and as long as the surface in the block where the cam bearing is pressed in isn't spun too badly then it would be fine.
I called earlier and they said the same thing. Press fit is really tight so I should worry about a new set coming out.

$100 for new cams and acid dip. But I do I have to take apart the bottom end.

·
Some dude on the internet
235 Posts
Yeah, hopefully you should be good to go if the journal isn't too hogged out.

A few things I always do after going that far are installing a new cam retainer plate, add a bolt to the oil pickup tube flange, and upgrade the barbell to a billet one (SacCityCorvette has both). Anything I can do to keep oil pressure and volume up in the cam journals is good cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, hopefully you should be good to go if the journal isn't too hogged out.

A few things I always do after going that far are installing a new cam retainer plate, add a bolt to the oil pickup tube flange, and upgrade the barbell to a billet one (SacCityCorvette has both). Anything I can do to keep oil pressure and volume up in the cam journals is good cheap insurance.
Wish I would of added a pickup tube bolt on my NNBS. New oil pump, o ring, cam plate, and rivited the block and it’s still only around 35 psi idle after warming up.

This gen III will get all of that besides rivets since it dosnt have that stuff. Should hold fine

·
235 Posts
Wish I would of added a pickup tube bolt on my NNBS. New oil pump, o ring, cam plate, and rivited the block and it’s still only around 35 psi idle after warming up.

This gen III will get all of that besides rivets since it dosnt have that stuff. Should hold fine
Right on dude. And those gen 4's have a lot of pressure loss potential on those towers unless they're welded or tapped and pipe plugged. Damned design!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on dude. And those gen 4's have a lot of pressure loss potential on those towers unless they're welded or tapped and pipe plugged. Damned design!
Yea it’s stupid. My 2012 work truck, non AFM 6.0 idles around 20ish. Pretty sketchy but it dosnt make a sound, just keep my eye off the gauge.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
my 12 doesnt have rivits or the holes plugged and it sees great pressure on the gauge? Buddy who helped me build it has done over 50 DOD deletes without blocking them and hasnt ever seen an oil pressure or oil issue.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12 is a factory non DOD truck just for reference.

Iv done about 20 or so DODs, and honestly it makes me sleep better with the rivets in there. But I really don’t think they do much.

·
235 Posts
They work fine without, but doing so removes a potential (eventual) failure point on the cover o-rings. Like you said, it just helps some folks sleep better I suppose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts