GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good cam for my truck??

I do mostly highway driving with some off-roadin/muddin, and i haul a 15' trailer with a lot of four wheelers on it too..... NOT to mention heavy 315's on it!!!

How much hp can one expect from a cam?? I deffinately want one that when it is at Idle, i want them to know it isn't stock, and make my straight pipes sound different than all the other fords, chevy's, and dodges

here is the crazy part i don't want it to HOG to much gas!! i mean i'm not gonna drag it, so just a good all around cam...

ps. how much?

·
Registered
840 Posts
You're asking for your cake and want to eat it too. A big cam that has lots of lope is not going to have the low end power to get your truck moving and do the work you want it to. The cam in my sig is as big as you dare go on a heavy 4x4 with big tires. Even it will cost you a little at the very bottom. I have a little lope at idle, but not a lot.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i figured that's what somebody was gonna say!! LOL, figured might as well throw it out there...

that is fine about the idle, but would be best for me? One like yours?? How much hp and tourque would a cam add? Will my exhaust sound different with it?

Mainly i just want some good reliable added power to make up for my tires with out having to change the valvetrain

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm going to rain on your parade again. Sorry:bawl: No amount of HP is going to make up for your tires. That will require new gears. I've been down that road a couple times and you simply have to regear. What gears are you running? I had 3.73s. You're running nearly a 35" tire. I'd recommend some 4.56s. That'll get you back to stock like gearing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The cam I'm running is probably the most recommended cam for a 4x4, at least on this site. It will give you a healthy exhaust note with noticable idle. It's not a heavy lope, but it's definately there. I'm not sure on HP numbers. In all seriousness, do the gears first. You will thank yourself later.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Yah...that cam that he is running...the same as mine also...is a great cam.

You do not need a big cam to make great hp, these smaller cams pump out the same numbers as other cams, and would work AWESOMEin a 4x4, or for someone who is towing. You will not be dissapointed with it

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I saw a 210/220 custom split on the dyno this weekend too... it made over 300/300 no problem... it ended up right at 320/335 after tuning in a Z71

·
Registered
840 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
how much did they cost you guys for the Comp Cam 212/218, .522/.529, and were did you order them??
I bought mine used from Hit Man X. I forget the price. Bought Trick Flow pushrods from Summit, although they're not required for this cam. Yellow LS6 valve springs work great on this cam and are quieter than 918s.

How hard is it to install a cam?? Somebody should stickey that...
LINK

·
Registered
840 Posts
99/5.3w/hips

Yours sounds pretty sweet, but yours is 2wd....So, yours should be different than mine right??

SOrry for all the question guys i'm trying to learn!
His cam is way bigger than what you're going to need. Look at the duration specs. His are much larger than mine. His are 224/224 and mine are 212/218. Also his Lobe Seperation Angle is 110 where mine is 114. I think I'm correct that the 110 LSA hurts bottom end as well, but that's also what gives him such a nice lopey idle. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can't remember why, but I've also read that the .522/.529 lift on mine is better for bottom torque than the hi-lift version. Someone help me out here.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
99/5.3w/hips

Yours sounds pretty sweet, but yours is 2wd....So, yours should be different than mine right??

SOrry for all the question guys i'm trying to learn!
eh I wouldnt say its necessarily too big, its a torquey ass cam. I just dont think its what an EC should have in it

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm sure you'd agree that a 224/224 .581/.581 110LSA cam does not make power right off idle like a 4x4 on 35s is going to need. It would at least need a big stall that would kill his towing ability.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I'm sure you'd agree that a 224/224 .581/.581 110LSA cam does not make power right off idle like a 4x4 on 35s is going to need. It would at least need a big stall that would kill his towing ability.
exactly, but peak torque is brought on quicker and stays longer :shake: I am on a stock stall and its VERY torquey even off the line. Its a torque oriented cam truthfully but its not RIGHT there below 2500 rpms, its close but he needs just a hair more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
exactly, but peak torque is brought on quicker and stays longer :shake: I am on a stock stall and its VERY torquey even off the line. Its a torque oriented cam truthfully but its not RIGHT there below 2500 rpms, its close but he needs just a hair more.
Think about this though Kyle, his gas mileage is gonna go to crap on the highway because he won't have any power below 3000 rpms.

I would go with a small cam that will have alot of power down low and at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Think about this though Kyle, his gas mileage is gonna go to crap on the highway because he won't have any power below 3000 rpms.

I would go with a small cam that will have alot of power down low and at cruising speeds.
thats not true either, if you have it tuned correctly you shouldnt have to worry about it, I have PLENTY of power under 2500 rpms. It's not like I lost what was there because I went with cam. No I am not saying this is a good cam for him BUT not saying it wouldnt do well for big truck. Just get a small convertor like a TB stall or something and he would be good to go :imo

If you want lope its all about overlap. Something like a 216/218 on a 112 or 110 is going to be a small enough duration to act a lot like stock and the tighter lsa is going to bring on peak torque earlier. Most people are just scared of tight LSA because they think that it only works on track oriented trucks. Shit I DD my 110 and it drives smoother than stock, a lot of it has to with tuning :read:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
thanks guys!! I like to see a good discussion with yall trying to make me happy...lol

is the Comp Cam 212/218, .522/.529 better below 3000rpm
it is a really good cam and will have a stock-like powerband with a 114 lsa. Should be perfect for your truck

1 - 20 of 52 Posts