GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
how hard is it to install an aftermarket camshaft?
It's very easy as long as your not like me and run into problems. It's funny because if I would have bought a $60 part that needed replacing anyways, my 40 hour cam swap would have only taken 8 hours.

Basically it's very easy, just replace all the parts that need replacing. I spent a total of $600 which included
224/224 cam
Manley Valve Springs
7.4 Comp Pushrods
New Oil Pump
$100 to have help from 1slow01z71

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
what were your hp/torque gains from that?
I haven't gotten on a dyno yet but EFI said I had 275 ft/lbs torque before cam swap and 313 ft/lbs after. I'm sure it would be more but my fuel injectors are maxed out by far. My tune isn't even very good either. The swap was certainly noticeable though. It's like i'm hitting nitrous at 3k rpms.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
so would u suggest that as a mod after exhaust and intake?
I did this as my 3rd mod right after my exhaust and intake, and while it's worth it, I wouldn't do it if I were you. I'd do a torque converter first.

I love my truck and the way the cam reacts at 3000 rpms and above but below 3k rpms it's worse than stock.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
if you wanna make it an easier swap, get yourself some dowl (spelling?) rod and push it in there so your lifters stay up....

Dave

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i was lookin at torque converters...is it true u can gain up 50hp at the wheels with just tthat mod?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
yea i was lookin at torque converters...is it true u can gain up 50hp at the wheels with just tthat mod?
torque converters do not increase horsepower or torque. they merely get you into the powerband earlier, in a sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts