GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent evne drivne it yet...winter time up hur in Canada.

Cam was peanuts cause im a Comp Cams dealer

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
havent evne drivne it yet...winter time up hur in Canada.

Cam was peanuts cause im a Comp Cams dealer
What cam specs would you recommend for someone wanting 15-20rwhp and not for racing but just looking for more power for my lifted rig.
Also how much would it cost me?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
What cam specs would you recommend for someone wanting 15-20rwhp and not for racing but just looking for more power for my lifted rig.
Also how much would it cost me?
everyone i talked to told me to go wiht the same cam he did. something like 212/218 .528/.531 112 or 114 LSA. Used cams are also where its at. Usually they retail for about 375, give or take a few bucks, and i got a used cam with 500 miles, comp 915 valve springs with 3000 miles, and brand new chromo 7.4" comp push rods for 400$ to my door. Its about 700$ worth of parts new shipped.

You can go with some LS6 yellow valve springs for about 60$ new through GMPD. They are good to about .570" lift and you don't NEED pushrods unless you want to REALLY spin the motor up...i wouldn't have gotten any had i had to buy new, but hell, that package was a pretty sweet deal, so im gonna throw mine in. From what everyone says and the write ups ive seen, it looks pretty damn easy to install them too. I haven't had the time to get to my friends shop to throw mine in yet, but it won't take long im sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i want a nasty sounding cam that i cna run without a converter..really just want taht sound haha. some pace setter long tubes. offroady y pipe to my 2 champer flow and a nasty sounding cam.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well nasty sound ing cam is easy..but if u dont do a converter your gonna lose so much bottom end power. Im going to be running a Trans Go, both servos, zinc plate, all of it with a 2600 stall...

The Cam I used is very street friendly. I drive the truck on teh street, not on the 1/4 all day. Even though im very exicted to see what numbers i cna pull with the truck...Its not number one priority.

I myself am also thinking about a 6.0 swap....or more than liekly I will boost my 5.3 and bore it out a bit....well see tho!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Good choice on the grind

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Shouldn't be too difficult. :imo

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
nice cam... very streetable and makes AWESOME useable power. :)

·
Minitrucker
710 Posts
Hey Brandon,

How hard is a cam swap for someone who has never done one in a 4.8? what is recommended, and what other costs are involved that I should be aware of? is it recommended to go with different fuel injectors or throttle body? Mind you this will be for daily driver use, kinda like what you are dong, nothing too wild, but dependable...

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
you'll need at least the cam and springs... pushrods for a little extra insurance if you want. Tuning will be needed to make most aftermarket cams run properly. The swap in your truck wouldnt be bad at all... it took me a full day to do cam and springs on mine this last time but thats with me taking my time and taking a few different breaks.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
you'll need at least the cam and springs... pushrods for a little extra insurance if you want. Tuning will be needed to make most aftermarket cams run properly. The swap in your truck wouldnt be bad at all... it took me a full day to do cam and springs on mine this last time but thats with me taking my time and taking a few different breaks.
Dont you need a stall converter too?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
depends on which cam you are looking at and what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yah its not to bad man...took us only 6 hours tyo do it...and that included over an hour pissing witht eh crank pulley. Its a very easy swap..jsut pull the front end off..and put it bakc together. However i would suggest using a good valve spring compressor..i used the crane cams piece.

You dont really need a stall...but it will help get you into the power band. With the small cam that I used you could get away with teh stock stall.

GEt the cam and 918 valve springs. Can get a new timing cover seal, longer crank bolt, new crank bolt, and soem coolant.

I could probably do one in under 5 hours..back running together.

no need for injectors or tb or anything...mine isnt a daily driver...but didnt want a crazy cam cause i wanted to keep ym stall down for when I superhcarge it

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
sounds very nice man. I remember when I did my 224 cam in the ta. I cut my thumb pretty good on the head when I was putting in the 918s.
I like your tag also. lol

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
when i did my springs at my friends house. I took my covers home for the night and sanded and polished the hell out of them. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts