GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. I built a 383 with an older style block (72) only to find out that I have a crack in the water jacket that is causin water to weep into the lifter valley (I know I can use block sealant to fix this but I just don't feel comfortable doing that). Anyway, I purchased a pre-machined 383 roller block (96-98 model). I also found a steal on a stock roller lifter set up on ebay, complete with spider assembly, bolts, pushrods, etc... so I went ahead and bought it.
Here is the flat tappet cam that I was running in my old block:
http://compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=87&sb=0

I can re-use the above cam in my new block but I really would like to go to a full roller setup and use the stock roller lifters that I bought. My question is can I run the below cam with stock roller lifters or do I need to just break down and by the entire roller kit from comp? I'm aware that I'm going to have to get a new timing kit but that's small marbles compared to a full roller kit...

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=188&sb=2

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Roller parts go with a roller cam, same with a flat tappet cam. Lobes are shaped differently, cam is made from diff material, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roller parts go with a roller cam, same with a flat tappet cam. Lobes are shaped differently, cam is made from diff material, etc.
I'm aware of that. I have stock roller lifters from a 96-98 sbc. I also have the solid lifters that came with my flat tappet cam. I'm trying to figure out how big of a roller cam I can run with the stock roller lifters.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think you'll run into a max lift issue with stock roller lifters. You could run into a high spring rate that will cause the lifters to collapse, but I don't think that is likely. If you plan on spinning up the engine, such as slowtowpig, get aftermarket lifters. Otherwise, get a cam and reuse the stockers.

Do you happen to know the mileage on those roller lifters you have? Do the bodies look worn out? Any scratches, gouges, etc.?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'm aware of that. I have stock roller lifters from a 96-98 sbc. I also have the solid lifters that came with my flat tappet cam. I'm trying to figure out how big of a roller cam I can run with the stock roller lifters.

You can run a huge cam on roller lifters.

I believe you are confusing yourself

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I thought so... The cam that I am looking at is a XR276H which has duration of 276/282 with a lift of .502/.510

You will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts