GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at installing a cam, stall, lifters, springs, and a DOD delete done and was wondering a reasonable install price?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So everyone on here has momma and daddy buy there shit? NO ONE ever paid for this or has an estimate?

·
GMFS Military Member
1,177 Posts
Go ask a shop nobody knows your rates where you live

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
Drive down here and ill do it all for a grand

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
Drive down, stay in a hotel for a weekend, and ill hire my buddy to help. $1200 bc I didn't see the stall part.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's been a few years, but I think I got a quote for around $2000 for cam and spring install. That may have included the cam and springs. After that I decided to do it myself. It wasn't too difficult, but if you do it buy a coil spring compressor for ls engines. That helped a LOT.

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
It's not bad at all, ill give u my number and with some of your friends help ill walk u through It. But if u want it done and wanna know it's right my offer stands. My price will be about 40% cheaper than most places u find. And ill supply all the beer u can drink

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Shit my buddy does cam/springs/converters for $500 out the door. I just had to pay for trans fluid. He said that and I jumped on it.

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
Shit my buddy does cam/springs/converters for $500 out the door. I just had to pay for trans fluid. He said that and I jumped on it.
I wouldn't pick up my tools for that. There's over half a day in pulling the tranny and putting it back. Plus on his id have to pull the heads. Literally id be 6 bolts from pulling his whole engine when this is being done. Alot of risk involved

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
You also have a 2000 Silverado without DOD. Deleting the DOD requires removing the heads to install new lifters. It’s a much more time consuming swap.

I could easily do a Cam/Spring swap in 6 hours with hand tools and under 4 hours with pneumatic tools. That's start to finish with basic hand tools and a good spring compressor.

A Converter swap can take as little as 2-3 hours provided that the ypipe is easily removable. In a shop with a lift, you could have one in and out in an hour and a half.

A Cam/Spring/Converter/DOD Delete on a NNBS truck could easily take 20+ hours for a first timer.

I wouldn't pick up my tools for that. There's over half a day in pulling the tranny and putting it back. Plus on his id have to pull the heads. Literally id be 6 bolts from pulling his whole engine when this is being done. Alot of risk involved
The transmission is the easy part in my opinion. I’m not sure why you factor half a day for one. However, I certainly agree that the DOD delete is very time consuming.

$2300 for the full swap may or may not be a good deal. If they’re supplying any of the parts that could easily make it worth it. If it’s just labor, that sounds extremely high.

A shop should be able to do everything in under 20 hours. At $80/hour that’s a $1600 labor cost.

I’d say if you can get it done for $1500 that would be a good deal. $2000 would be on the high side and anything over wouldn’t be worth it. Again that’s just labor with no parts costs involved.

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
You also have a 2000 Silverado without DOD. Deleting the DOD requires removing the heads to install new lifters. It’s a much more time consuming swap.

I could easily do a Cam/Spring swap in 6 hours with hand tools and under 4 hours with pneumatic tools. That's start to finish with basic hand tools and a good spring compressor.

A Converter swap can take as little as 2-3 hours provided that the ypipe is easily removable. In a shop with a lift, you could have one in and out in an hour and a half.

A Cam/Spring/Converter/DOD Delete on a NNBS truck could easily take 20+ hours for a first timer.

The transmission is the easy part in my opinion. I’m not sure why you factor half a day for one. However, I certainly agree that the DOD delete is very time consuming.

$2300 for the full swap may or may not be a good deal. If they’re supplying any of the parts that could easily make it worth it. If it’s just labor, that sounds extremely high.

A shop should be able to do everything in under 20 hours. At $80/hour that’s a $1600 labor cost.

I’d say if you can get it done for $1500 that would be a good deal. $2000 would be on the high side and anything over wouldn’t be worth it. Again that’s just labor with no parts costs involved.
I don't have a car lift..but I'm thinking 9-12 pulling the tranny and putting it back..............with a breakfast break lol I feel my price is more than fair. It'll also give him leverage for gas and a hotel while still saving a few hundred

·
GMC Owner
1,534 Posts

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
I wouldn't pick up my tools for that. There's over half a day in pulling the tranny and putting it back.
I feel the same way.

I think it took him 11 ish hours total with breaks and what not.. Had to cut off exhaust and i remember he was having a hard time getting the tranny removed from the motor.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I don't have a car lift..but I'm thinking 9-12 pulling the tranny and putting it back..............with a breakfast break lol I feel my price is more than fair. It'll also give him leverage for gas and a hotel while still saving a few hundred
I assumed that he had a 2008 based on his username. I searched and saw that his truck is actually a 2009. He should have a 6l80e, but that doesn't really complicate things too much. It's just a bit more weight.

I think 9-12 hours is on the high side if you have done one before. On a 4wd with a transfer case it should take 6 hours or less taking your time in a driveway.

With that said, $1000 for labor on the full install is extremely reasonable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not bad at all, ill give u my number and with some of your friends help ill walk u through It. But if u want it done and wanna know it's right my offer stands. My price will be about 40% cheaper than most places u find. And ill supply all the beer u can drink
Hell where u live I’ll let u install mine and what’s ur price lol I’ll drink some brewskis with ya

1 - 17 of 17 Posts