GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a 2-4 drop on my truck (05 Sierra) a little over a year ago using DJM lower control arms and shackles and hangers. I just noticed a few months ago that my wheels are wearing on the outside pretty bad (this is even after some place "aligned" the truck shortly after I lowered it). That is the caster adjustment right? Anyway, has anyone else had this problem when using lower control arms? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen with trucks?

Note: After looking at the truck it does not appear that any of the adjustment points for aligning the truck were ever touched! Bastards!

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
sounds like it may be positive camber. Ive got lowering springs on mine and my tires were wearing on the inside...resulting from negative camber. I should know more about this as ive went through front end and suspensions class thru school but i cant hardly remember any of that shit sense i dont do front end alignments and all that.

·
YUH
7,600 Posts
darin hes got to much positive camber making his outside ring of the tire wear faster than the inside. negative camber would be vice versa..

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically an allignment should fix the problem right? I mean there should be enough adjustment in the stock front end components to correct the problem. No such thing as a camber kit for trucks...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
it could be from cornering and what not but i doubt it. I bet you that when that shop aligned your truck they just set the toe because the camber was close enough to get you by without you noticeing the tire wear right away. The next time you get your truck aligned ask for a print out of the specs before and after so you can see what is actually adjusted.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
So basically an allignment should fix the problem right? I mean there should be enough adjustment in the stock front end components to correct the problem. No such thing as a camber kit for trucks...
What you might want to do is call djm and see what they say about your problem. They will probably ask what size tire/wheel you are running and they should be able to help you out, by telling you what you need to get your truck aligned properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
caster has NO tire wear. caster affects the steering wheels ability to return back to center on its won. camber and toe will wear your tires. if it is wearing on the outsides of the tire, you could have a positive camber issue OR more possibly a toe-in problem. does your truck pull either to the left or right? is the tire wear about equal on both tires or is one more than the other? try driving your truck in a parking structure were the pavement is smooth, if you have a toe-in/toe-out issue you will hear your tires screatching. or after driving you can look at your tires and see if there are scrub marks. if its a camber problem you might be able to see on the tire a contact patch of the road (like on motorcycles rear tire you can see how much they lean into a turn by the contact patch on the rear tire).

try getting it aligned again and ask them for the specs/actual print out... hope this helps...

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mista that helps a lot. The tires appear to be wearing about the same on both sides. Also there is some screeching when cornering (and thats not at high speeds) and the truck pulls to the right.

oh and the wheels and tires are the stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts