GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm the new guy so be gentle.
On my 97 I have 4" fabricated lowers, stock uppers and 3" springs, my negative is absolutely brutal and I can tear through a set of tires in a couple thousand km, the toe and caster is all out to lunch as well. With the cross member being roughly 1.5" from mother earth its been a challenge trying to find someone locally with an in ground rack. Now that I have actually found a shop that can do it, is it even possible to get some positive back in it with the current setup? I don't mind some negative camber, the truck is a weekend toy, and I can rotate tires often, but it needs to be drive able and being able to actual turn a corner without scrubbing the tires right off it would be nice lol.
Thanks for the input
Dave

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Having your toe off will eat your tires a lot faster than camber. It really depends on how those lowers are made. But with just springs and lowers its probably not gonna be anywhere close to positive. Get the toe straight, and get some uppers. Might also want to consider a 1" spring and 2" spindle setup, more money but more spring rate and way better angles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having your toe off will eat your tires a lot faster than camber. It really depends on how those lowers are made. But with just springs and lowers its probably not gonna be anywhere close to positive. Get the toe straight, and get some uppers. Might also want to consider a 1" spring and 2" spindle setup, more money but more spring rate and way better angles.
I will have to get the front end up and take at look at the uppers. They are homemade lol, the kid that made them is a welder and the entire rear of the truck is custom that he made. I'm hoping his lowers are just as well done. I don't know much about these trucks, im a engine/muscle car guy for the most part so this is all new to me...
If uppers will allow me to get the alignment better I have no objection to them. Any suggestions for what I'm looking for?
Thanks for the help
Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't actually know what the total drop is. With a 215/70/15 tire, I'm 23.75" from ground to fender lip at the center of the tire, and 24" in the rear. No clue what stock should be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****edit**** I meant my lowers are homemade. I can order the DJM uppers (PN# CA2555U) and will this help correct the negative?
And the reported stock ride heights seem all over the board from everything I can find, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of the current drop.
Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
****edit**** I meant my lowers are homemade. I can order the DJM uppers (PN# CA2555U) and will this help correct the negative?
And the reported stock ride heights seem all over the board from everything I can find, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of the current drop.
Thanks

Dave
Measure from center of hub to fender lip to know what drop you have(Not ground to fender). What cross member are you talking about being 1.5" off the ground? if its the motor one, then id say its around 7-7.5" drop in the front.

Get an alignment first and go from there. No one can tell you if its gonna align with homemade parts, and unsure on what drop you really have. But yes those uppers will help correct some camber. But Like i said id go get an alignment, or get under it and max the camber out yourself to see where it sits before you start buying parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Measure from center of hub to fender lip to know what drop you have(Not ground to fender). What cross member are you talking about being 1.5" off the ground? if its the motor one, then id say its around 7-7.5" drop in the front.

Get an alignment first and go from there. No one can tell you if its gonna align with homemade parts, and unsure on what drop you really have. But yes those uppers will help correct some camber. But Like i said id go get an alignment, or get under it and max the camber out yourself to see where it sits before you start buying parts.
Yah, the cross member under the motor is app 1.25-1.5" off the ground. I will measure tonight as you suggested to get a more accurate number. What's a normal hub center to fender lip height supposed to be?
Were going to get it in the air this weekend and tape measure align it and see what I can get. I just wanted to order whatever I'm going to need come spring time now. So at least that will give me some idea.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts