GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finished my 4/7 drop on my 08 silverado cc
the drop consisted of belltech struts and belltech spindles and MCG flip kit with helper bags. i bought all the items from the vendors here.......

i took it to sears and the tech showed me that it was at -2* camber, i told him that i used 2" struts, 2" spindle, he was asking me if i had the right spindle or that maybe i need a new control arm or spring, i told him many of you had done this similar setup and had it aligned almost to spec.

is there a possibility that i did the drop incorrect?

how do i correct this? can I? should i try another place like pepboys or firestone?

this is my first drop eva and i thought its was a bitch but the reward was well worth it, need some help please...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Can you get a pic of your camber adjusters on the upper control arm? If they're all the way out, you'll need to get the offset bushings or an alignment kit. I have a spindle/belltech strut on my NNBS suburban and I still have a little neg. camber (.7* drivers/.25* pass.)

·
Vendor
2,493 Posts
ive seen this a few times with that kit on the ones ive sold here and i tell the customers that up front that alignment will be tricky just in case if they say you didnt tell me that it wont align. I sell the belltech/djm alignment kits if your interested hit me up.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Lets see the adjustment cams....but I bet sears is just trying to align it to factory specs...you need to take it somewhere else that is familiar with drop kits.

I had spindles, stuts and coils for 5" front drop and mine aligned.

I lowered a crewcab with GF spindles and struts about a month ago and NTB aligned his into spec.

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get a pic of your camber adjusters on the upper control arm? If they're all the way out, you'll need to get the offset bushings or an alignment kit. I have a spindle/belltech strut on my NNBS suburban and I still have a little neg. camber (.7* drivers/.25* pass.)
ok ill try to get some later on today, if not for sure tomorrow since i dont work tomorrow, i want to get this fixed asap before i actually do some real damage to my tires....

Lets see the adjustment cams....but I bet sears is just trying to align it to factory specs...you need to take it somewhere else that is familiar with drop kits.

I had spindles, stuts and coils for 5" front drop and mine aligned.

I lowered a crewcab with GF spindles and struts about a month ago and NTB aligned his into spec.
sears told me it was suppose to be like at around -.10*

we dont have NTB out here but we do have its sister company Big O, im gonna try them.....

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
call around some local shops that do lifts and drops and see who they use...dont waste any more money till you do some research
k i called around and im gonna take it to the places they recommend...

but before i do, here are some pics,

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
They didnt even align it...those silver pieces would be gone if they had, those are from the factory...you have tons of adjustment.

go get that aligned at a real shop

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i got it aligned, they maxed out the adjustments, but is -.9* camber ok? will my tires still wear uneven much?

here are my numbers they put them to :

caster 5.4*
toe .05*
camber -.9*

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
ok i got it aligned, they maxed out the adjustments, but is -.9* camber ok? will my tires still wear uneven much?

here are my numbers they put them to :

caster 5.4*
toe .05*
camber -.9*
.9 Negative is pretty significant. Your tires will be chewed up on the inside if you put any descent mileage on your truck. Been there, done that. Align your shit ASAP. Camber is not near as bad as toe, but it will eat up tires as well.

And I'm glad JB pionted that out :lol: You still had the factory plastic knock-off.

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.9 Negative is pretty significant. Your tires will be chewed up on the inside if you put any descent mileage on your truck. Been there, done that. Align your shit ASAP. Camber is not near as bad as toe, but it will eat up tires as well.

And I'm glad JB pionted that out :lol: You still had the factory plastic knock-off.
yeah, i figured it was still too significant. are my other numbers ok? so what numbers should i realistically expect.?

it looks like the camber adj are maxed out, how much would it help if i use a kit like belltech's.?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
The belltech kit will get you where you need to be. I don't know off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure they allow for another 1.25* but I'm not sure.

Caster doesn't really mean shit as long as your truck doesn't wander when you let go of the wheel, it will throw it off when lowering it but as long as both adjusters are the same it shouldn't matter, if you're on an uneven caster split it could cause your truck to wander. It is not a tire wear factor, camber and toe are tire wear factors.

Toe should ideally be at 0 degrees on both sides, it's the angle at what your front tires are facing. If your steering wheel is uneven or you see your tires wearing on the outside in a "feather" pattern, your toe is off. Toe is by far the most significant factor in an alignment is both handling and tire wear.

Specified range on our NNBS trucks are as follows

Camber -.7* to .5*
Caster 2.0* to 4.0*
Toe -.05* to .15*

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks for the explanation about all components of alignment, silveradodude74,

so my toe isnt bad at .05*, right? did your truck align to specs with ease?

im gonna get this looked at tomorrow, but i think im gonna have to order an alignment kit to get this done correct, so i can have my mind at ease, i dont really drive much during the weekdays, so that is one thing in my favor....

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
ok thanks for the explanation about all components of alignment, silveradodude74,

so my toe isnt bad at .05*, right? did your truck align to specs with ease?

im gonna get this looked at tomorrow, but i think im gonna have to order an alignment kit to get this done correct, so i can have my mind at ease, i dont really drive much during the weekdays, so that is one thing in my favor....
No problem. Toe is good a .05* but watch it, it will slip out. Yes mine had to problems aligning to spec I probably have another .2* left in my camber adjuster on my dirvers side and it's at 0 and my passengers side is maxed at -.2. Both in specified range.

Mine is MCG spindles and Ground Force coils.

What are the numbers per side? You're showing us the combined numbers.....

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k cool man thanks for the link,
ill see how it goes tomorrow, im gonna go back to the shop and see if they can do anything else, it looks maxed out but i still feel a niche in the camber adjustment that might give it some more adjustment

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
k cool man thanks for the link,
ill see how it goes tomorrow, im gonna go back to the shop and see if they can do anything else, it looks maxed out but i still feel a niche in the camber adjustment that might give it some more adjustment
It's maxed, trust me I can tell by the pic, and even if they got another .1* out of it, it's still out. :rofljest: You'll need the kit, I wouldn't waste my time or possibly money going back there. Just order the kit and get it aligned again. yes Negative .9* camber is significant and will wear out your tires it wont make a difference if you drive on it a few hundred miles while you're waiting on the kit to come in.

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah you you're right im gonna order it,
saved me some time thanks...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.