GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 gmc z71 5.3L and i want to put a cam in it i looked up some vids on youtube and i want a lopy sound to my truck like a hot rod i looked up some thunder racing cams any body have segastion on what cam would make my 5.3 run all lopy and get some good hp

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
I have a 04 gmc z71 5.3L and i want to put a cam in it i looked up some vids on youtube and i want a lopy sound to my truck like a hot rod i looked up some thunder racing cams any body have segastion on what cam would make my 5.3 run all lopy and get some good hp
So you don't care about power brakes, or bottom end power? The biggest issue I have run into is people over camming their vehicles. I'm assuming this is your DD, I would recommend against installing a radical cam, which you really won't see the gains anyways with a bone stock setup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive heard good things about the texas speed 220/220 i think there's quite a few people running it here without any problems on a dd

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Here's a tidbit of information.

When I first cammed my truck it was bone stock except for a muffler and an intake. I put a 224/224 on 112 lsa comp cam in my truck.

I was doing the tuning myself mind you.

I took my truck to the 1/8th mile track and it ran an 11.2 which is equivalent to about a 17 second 1/4 mile.

That is SLOWER than stock.

It only took a higher stalling torque converter and a set of longtubes and that number fell from an 11.2 to a 9.4(that was with an open differential). That's about a 2.5 second difference in the 1/4 mile.

I'm now running 8.9s and with traction I should see 8.3s, but that's a frustrating story within itself.

Don't be a fool, and overcam your truck. I love my truck and love the way it performs, but there are times when I want to step down to a TR220 and just enjoy not having to lock my converter up at 50 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so cam is not the way to go for a stock truck all i have is an thrush welded muffler on it any ideas to get some good power out of my 5.3

·
Registered
330 Posts
Get a small cam like Comp 212/218 low lift, it works ok with the stock converter. Anything bigger and you'll want/need a converter.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Small cam, less restrictive exhaust, new intake tube, and tune. You should have something pretty different from stock.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Here's a tidbit of information.

When I first cammed my truck it was bone stock except for a muffler and an intake. I put a 224/224 on 112 lsa comp cam in my truck.

I was doing the tuning myself mind you.

I took my truck to the 1/8th mile track and it ran an 11.2 which is equivalent to about a 17 second 1/4 mile.

That is SLOWER than stock.

It only took a higher stalling torque converter and a set of longtubes and that number fell from an 11.2 to a 9.4(that was with an open differential). That's about a 2.5 second difference in the 1/4 mile.

I'm now running 8.9s and with traction I should see 8.3s, but that's a frustrating story within itself.

Don't be a fool, and overcam your truck. I love my truck and love the way it performs, but there are times when I want to step down to a TR220 and just enjoy not having to lock my converter up at 50 mph.
Good post. This should be in the stickied cam thread.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
I have been saying this for YEARS.
you mean i shouldn't put a MS3 cam in a stock 4.8L with 3.42 gears? damn i've been going about this ALL wrong. :crazy:

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
pacesetter L/T ory with or without cats, your choice. like said a smaller cam 220 or lower. being 4x4 id go with a trailblazer stall or a 3000. a cold air intake, ported and polished throttle body, shift kit and servos to make your stock tranny last. if you have 3:42s id go to 3:73-4:10 depending your lift and tire size. Blackbear tune is the best way to go as far as cost and service. Justin is a great guy and a great seller. if i lived closer he'd be my tuner but i change so much stuff i need a tuner closer to me. just my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts