GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple days ago i rear ended car. didnt cause much damage except lower valence gone and bumper pushed in and down. think its my bumper brackets that are bent or think there called frame horns. can these be bent back without putting it into shop? what do i need or how should i go about to do so? i will try and get some pics in next day to show what it looks like. please help! thanks.

-nick

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
if you get down and look at the hole in the bumper where the chrome and upper valance meet, in the middle. thats where the bumper bolts on the the frame, so you can check it out if thats messed up. also on the sides by the tires, there are kinda L shaped brackets that hold the sides in place, you can loosen and adjust those also

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
dude just quit being such a pussy and fix it like a man

j/k

but serousily...look under it and see what brackets are bent and shit like joe said...the actual bumper doesnt look to have any damage so it might just be the brackets you need to replace

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not to bad but its pushed back a couple inches and then bent down on one side and little on other.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh i need to buy that valence but just waiting couple weeks bc i want to get it painted before i put it on. ima take off the bumper tomorrow and try and figure it out.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
for the sides, look for this bracket, it will do all the adjusting on the sides. the front of it doesnt look to bad in the pics but in person it might be worse
DSC02431.gif

·
Registered
61 Posts
You might be able to put a floor jack under the two brackets towards the outside of the truck with a block of wood and it should straighten the brackets.Their just like 3/16" thick and bend pretty easy without having to take them off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k thanks joe. ima check it out tomorrow during day and let you know what i figure out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might be able to put a floor jack under the two brackets towards the outside of the truck with a block of wood and it should straighten the brackets.Their just like 3/16" thick and bend pretty easy without having to take them off.
ive herd of doing that but im just scared to mess it up even worst. ima check it out and see whats bent and go from there.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,489 Posts
All that matters is that you had fun doing it...:rofl2:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess but i dont think getting in a wreck is very fun. only good thing that happened was i got out of getting ticket bc guy who i hit had his license suspended and had all kind of other things wrong.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I guess you might could be able to fix that chaself

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had hit a wooden fence about two months ago in the OBS messed up the hood and bent the hell out of the bumper and the bracket were bent to hell but all u have to do is get new brackets and a new bumper and u should be fine the brackets have like six bolts a piece and the bumper has like 5 on top and 5 on the bottom simple bolt on

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only way your gonna know how is to try it. I can tell you that I really never know what I'm doing when it comes to mechanics and dont have anyone to how me but dammit ill take it apart and learn how it works and then try and get it back together. I have a really bad habit of taking stuff apart fr no reason other than I'm bored and curious (I can still hear my parents cursing me about my sled and atv, lol)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts