GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is gonna sound insanely stupid but my axle is a D44 out of supposedly a 78 f250, well i just now looked at it and it sure as hell doesnt look hi pinion to me. If anything it looks like its very low. The shaft does come out the middle but its out othe very bottom

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also the pad width is 32" where do they get the extra half inch but this being 32 leads me to believe it is the high pinion since everything else was 36 pad width right?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see where your pinion comes out up top it almost looks like mine is completely flipped and coming out the bottom

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just tried checking the stamping but its all covered over with grease and its dark out so i sprayed it with engine cleaner to let it soak over night. I could of swore though that from what i can actaully see that it ha d a 3 on it. What the chances of this being a D30?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Heres mine when it was all pretty, 79 HP60:

Sounds like yours is a pre-78 low pinion 44 or 60. 32" spring pad is the norm up through 79. 80 and up went 36" but GM has always been 32" on the sfa trucks.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
willyswanter said:
Heres mine when it was all pretty, 79 HP60:

Sounds like yours is a pre-78 low pinion 44 or 60. 32" spring pad is the norm up through 79. 80 and up went 36" but GM has always been 32" on the sfa trucks.
Im guessing thats what it is now that im sober and i thing about it. No big deal that its low pinion even though i would prefer a high but i still plan on getting a 60 in the future to build. Right now the 44 is just to get the truck rolling. BTW where are the damn tags on these axles that state 44 or 60?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts