GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seafoamed my engine last week, and changed the only that last weekend, just a coincidence.

I noticed a few things, first, my truck idles lower now, too low if you ask me, around 450 when its warm.

Also, I am STILL putting out smoke, a week and a half later. Not nearly as bad as when I seafoamed it, but before that, the truck didn't smoke AT ALL. Now, it does, (white smoke).

Why? did I hurt some of the seals in the valve train or something?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It could loosen something that was sealed with gunk before, allowing it to now flow. "Smoke" being white is not a problem, unless it is a billowing type and truly is smoke. During these cold days, you can have whiteness coming out of the tailpipe, even after warm-up. My truck idles around 500 rpms and sounds fine. Could try really blowing it out. Floor it a few times, after warm up. Vehicles need a little WOT every now and again.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It's always a good idea to change the spark plugs after Seafoaming a vehicle.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It's always a good idea to change the spark plugs after Seafoaming a vehicle.
If the first time on an older vehicle, yeah. Also good to change the oil with the next 100 miles or so.
I know some people have added some to the engine oil a few miles before changing it...i never have, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna pull the plugs tonight and inspect them, to make sure that they look ok. I changed the oil three days after the 'foaming. I guess that if the plugs look ok, I'll stop acting like a princess, give myself a nut check, and stop worrying.

I know its not really possible, but I was concerned about the temperature change in the head causing it to warp, and now I have a coolant leak.(already have a small leak, but I can see it on the bottom of the motor, not worried about it going into the motor until now)

Thanks for the input.

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
I've been thinking about trying the seafoam on the hoe. Do I just go to a local auto store get some and pour it into a vaccum line?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
yup... do it slowly while its running... it should stumble a little then when you get towards half th ecan, just dump it in there quick. it may stall -which is good, otherwise shut it down and let it sit for 20mins or so.
then drive the piss out of it

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
I think I'm gonna do this when it gets warmer out

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
155 Posts
ive been told that pouring into the vaccum line doesnt help any but the back cylinders...cause of the way our intake is set up

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
155 Posts
the vaccum from the brake booster line feeds off of the back of the manafold

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
so where should I pour it into to get the other cylinders?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never had any issues using Seafoam on any of my vehicles. I did see some sparkplug fouling, but the plugs had around 100k on them.

I've basically tried to damage a vehicle with Seafoam (a 2000 Ford CVPI with 135k miles) just to see what would happen. I've ran an ENTIRE can in the crankcase for 3k+ miles several times, sucked up TWO can through the booster line, and ran a can in EVERY tank of gas for probably 10 tanks. Only thing I could tell was that it cleaned the HELL out of the tops of the heads (I.E. all I could see through the oil fill). Did it necessarily fix anything? Not really, throttle response is better, but it still has a lot of lifter noise/spark knock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts