GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man im having some wicked tire wear on both front tires and actually one went flat on me today becuase it wore thru. My truck has 25K and mabe 15 on the 4/6 drop. I had the front end aligned on 9-26-06 at a Goodyear shop and i though he told me he can not adjust the caster.

Here is what the sheet said, is it correct caster shows to be way off.

Left Front
Actual Before Specified Range
-0.1 -0.1 -0.4 0.9 Camber
4.6 4.6 1.3 3.3 Caster
0.02 0.24 -0.05 0.15 Toe

Right Front
Actual Before Specified Range
-1.4 -1.4 -0.4 0.9 Camber
4.9 4.9 1.6 3.6 Caster
0.04 0.17 -0.05 0.15 Toe

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
mine is aligned back to stock specs. theres no reason that yours cant be either. take it back to goodguys.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some pics i just took let me get them loaded...

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
caster is not a tire wear effecting measurement. Toe and camber are. Caster is what allows the wheel to return to center after you take your hands off the wheel after taking a turn.

if one side of the tire is wearing faster than the other side, camber is off. you should check your tire pressure as well because having the incorrect psi of air in your tires will effect tire wear

to me it sounds like the truck was knocked out of alignment

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i just rember he olny adjusted the Toe and thats it. I have never hit a curb or a serious pot hole and i dont think my wife has to knock it out of alignmnet. But here are some pics what do you think...
All left front tire and the right front pretty much looks the same. Little wear on the out side and alot of wear on the inside.
DSCN1262.gif

DSCN1264.gif

DSCN1261.gif

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
the camber is defiantly off

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
caster is set by moving either the front OR back of the LCA. You have misalignment washers there.

And you have wicked tire wear. Looks like badass negative camber but it could be a factor of all three. Caster can wear tires, but not like that. You have toe/camber issues....

Find another front end shop....cause goodyear aint cuttin it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a mechanic by trade and i have never seen this type of wear on a tire but of course i dont work on lowered vehicles.

So Tommorow i need to take it back to Goodyear people and see what they will do, i dont think they will pay for the tires like i think they should, but they should give me a new alignment at least for free because now im will have to buy 2 new tires at 109$ a piece. So this tire wear is do to camber out of tolerance? And caster is ok? I know my tire air pressure has been ok..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
caster is set by moving either the front OR back of the LCA. You have misalignment washers there.

And you have wicked tire wear. Looks like badass negative camber but it could be a factor of all three. Caster can wear tires, but not like that. You have toe/camber issues....

Find another front end shop....cause goodyear aint cuttin it...

Well i think Goodyear owes me i think..and they state they have a 12K or 1 year warranty on there alignments is what they say anyways..

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Well i think Goodyear owes me i think..and they state they have a 12K or 1 year warranty on there alignments is what they say anyways..
they owe you for sure....and its impossible to pin point any one problem, because you have alot fubbared to have wear like that. Im guessing you have bad negative caster, toed out like a retard, and your cambering like a bagged truck...

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
and you could need new UCA's thinking about it....because even if your camber is fine sitting there, when you drive it, it may be falling way negative because the stock UCA's are too short...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just looking at it from the front or rear you can not notice anything at all, not like a bagged truck layin frame, the front wheels look totally fine no camber at all, but definatley something is wrong for sure and pisses me off.

·
layin big rubber
1,456 Posts
i would say neg cam also, u would have to see where the uca is set to,
because i know when i set my cam on my truck for my djm 4-6 drop i had to move the uca alittle bit

now a day the computer does all the work for the person doing the alignment, its pretty hard to jack one up,
all the machines ive used has a sensor for each wheel and checks the back then the front

but it could be bad front end parts also, ball joints or tie rods but a person doing the alignment should have checked for stuff like that

i would go back and make them replace the tires, since it was their bad work that caused the problem

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try to get them to replace the tires for sure, When i installed the the 4/6 kit made by Mcgaughys i did use a 2" drop spindle and a 2" spring and the truck had 10 to 15K miles on the kit, so all the front end parts are pretty much brand new and i bought the truck brand new, and never had any issues before the kit. Either the alignment got knocked out of wack or the guys at Goodyear just didnt do there job right. So the alignment shop can adjust the camber and caster on my truck? or just the camber?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
The problem is you dont want it back to stock. You want stock spec on caster, and stock spec on camber is okay, but negative .5 degree is best, and you want a 1 degree split on the toe instead of less than 1 degree.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well got back from Goodyear and they rechecked the Alignment and was dead on they did adjust the toe in a little but that was it, i talked to the tech that done it and he said he has had lowered trucks before and the front end has no problems eeven showed me on his alin comp screen, then the manger looked at as well and they come upon the agreement that the tires were underinflated and that was the cause of the irrugular tire wear, the right front tire had 25 psi. Well ok maybe the tires were just a little unflated but i never thought they would wear like that. They told me need to keep atleast 40psi in front tires...So i bought 2 new front tires from NTB for 110$ a piece. So that where i am at now whats ur .02 cents?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Well got back from Goodyear and they rechecked the Alignment and was dead on they did adjust the toe in a little but that was it, i talked to the tech that done it and he said he has had lowered trucks before and the front end has no problems eeven showed me on his alin comp screen, then the manger looked at as well and they come upon the agreement that the tires were underinflated and that was the cause of the irrugular tire wear, the right front tire had 25 psi. Well ok maybe the tires were just a little unflated but i never thought they would wear like that. They told me need to keep atleast 40psi in front tires...So i bought 2 new front tires from NTB for 110$ a piece. So that where i am at now whats ur .02 cents?
that its bullshit...haha

you should need no more than 35 psi in a big sidewall like that. All I can say is try running 40 in them and see what happens...cause without being there personally its hard to say.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea i know its bullshit, im sure that was a good excuse of getting out of them giving me two new tires, who's to say they didnt adjust it before they called me back to look at the screen. If i see any abnormal wear in the next few months i will take it somewhere else to check the alignment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts