GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have had 2 lifted trucks in the past and want to know if it is possible to lift a SS. I know it has the AWD system in it, but i thought the only difference was in the transfercase and nothing else. can any one clarify or has anyone lifted a 2003 SS yet? I think it would be really bad ass looking!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want to lift the truck, I got the truck becuase it was such an awesome deal, + i got the 6.0 engine with out going to the 2500 series trucks. I really hope I can lift this thing, otherwise I really got the wrong truck!!

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
I dont see any reason why not. I'd imagine that lifting it would be no different than lifting a regular 4wd. This is how I would think of it, the all wheel drive isnt much different (if any) than an Autotrac equipped truck being stuck in the Auto4wd mode all the time. Someone tell me if my logic is off track here... :anitoof:

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Hell yea i hope you can lift your SS that would be shibby!! :head: BTW heres a newb question for all of you. Whats the dif between 4 wheel and all wheel drive? :ninja:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
All wheel drive is an advanced 4wd. It distributes the power usually at about 60% out back and 40% up front. It takes power away from the wheel slipping so you get great traction. Will one day be the norm on all offroad trucks but its just too damn expensive right now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This would be the Shizzz nit to lift this thing, I am going to check with some vendors around the country today, because If i can put a 8inch lift on this truck, I might get wet spots in my pants!

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Cool. Be sure to post something when you're ready to sell.

I'm sure you can lift it...but why? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having an SS?

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
I have wondered this myself and often dreamed about the concept of a lifted SS. I dont know why you couldn't lift it seems like a 4X4 lift kit would work and I think a lifted SS would be badass, but what about the gearing? Does a stock ss come with 3.73's or what?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Why not lift it? It has SS badges but everyone knows that it dont live up to its name in comparison to the Lightning or the SR/T-10. I dont see it as a fast street truck at all, so hell yea lift that bish. Lifted trucks just look better IMO.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
zubyc said:
All wheel drive is an advanced 4wd. It distributes the power usually at about 60% out back and 40% up front. It takes power away from the wheel slipping so you get great traction. Will one day be the norm on all offroad trucks but its just too damn expensive right now.
Ahh that sounds bitchin!! Anyway an 8 inch lift on that light truck with a 6.0l would kick some major ass! And I know the SS would lose to the dodge and the ford on a straight away but i thought it had a lot bettle handleing which means it would prob win racing on a track rather than a straight quarter mile.

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
Why not lift it? It has SS badges but everyone knows that it dont live up to its name in comparison to the Lightning or the SR/T-10. I dont see it as a fast street truck at all, so hell yea lift that bish. Lifted trucks just look better IMO.
Cause it's an SS, not a Z71 or HD. Just seems like a waste of an SS to me.
It's not like you couldn't beef it up to be just as fast as a Lightning or SR-10 (well, maybe not the Dodge) either.

It's just my opinion, so please don't take this the wrong way, but if you were my friend, I would have to punch you in the face for even suggesting lifting your SS. :buttkick:

Are you seriously going to take your SS out and give it a good mud thrashing? Or are you just planning on making it slower for show?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
i dont see why you couldn't lift an SS but if it was my truck i would slam that bitch :head:

·
Member #670
1,860 Posts
im more with the lowering of trucks, but hey its your truck, if you wanna lift it cool!...its something very original that you dont see everyday. Hell its the only factory sport truck that would look good lifted, can you imagine a lightning, or an SRT-10 on 35's... :insane: i say lift it and run over the ford and the dodge :LOL:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
halecj said:
Cause it's an SS, not a Z71 or HD. Just seems like a waste of an SS to me.
It's not like you couldn't beef it up to be just as fast as a Lightning or SR-10 (well, maybe not the Dodge) either.

It's just my opinion, so please don't take this the wrong way, but if you were my friend, I would have to punch you in the face for even suggesting lifting your SS. :buttkick:

Are you seriously going to take your SS out and give it a good mud thrashing? Or are you just planning on making it slower for show?
You know when I saw the title I thought what is this guy thiinking. Kinda like you. But than I thought about it, and since the "SS" doesn't mean shit on this truck, why shouldn't he lift it? If was an actual performance truck it'd be different.

I'd actualy look into swaping the transfercase and make it 4wd instead of AWD.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I would personally slam that SS. But lifted it would be :head:

Lift it if you wanna.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Im going to be pulling out my NP246 autotrac case this summer, if you want ill sell it to you so you can have a part time 4wd case.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
The reason to get one and lift it is because you are getting a 6.0 out of a 1/2 ton truck. Now if you could get that out of a silvy then there wouldn't really be a need but you cant so go for it!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts